PPS for PGY2 at midyear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzie516

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm planning to do a PGY2 next year and have been thinking about signing up for PPS. I already know which programs I would like to apply to, so my question is.. is it worth the time to go through PPS at midyear? I've heard both positives and negatives about PPS and can't make up my mind. I heard a lot of programs do pre-interviews there and candidates who pre-interview are more competitve when the real interview time rolls around, don't know how true this is. The deadline for early registration for PPS is tomorrow, for those of you who are interested in signing up. Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I'm planning to do a PGY2 next year and have been thinking about signing up for PPS. I already know which programs I would like to apply to, so my question is.. is it worth the time to go through PPS at midyear? I've heard both positives and negatives about PPS and can't make up my mind. I heard a lot of programs do pre-interviews there and candidates who pre-interview are more competitve when the real interview time rolls around, don't know how true this is. The deadline for early registration for PPS is tomorrow, for those of you who are interested in signing up. Thanks!:)

Please clarify your status... Are you a pharmacy student on rotations, or are you a current PGY-1 resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say absolutely. The showcases aren't really geared for PGY-2 seekers although we did get several people interested in our PGY-2 programs. Also, you'll be limited to looking at other programs during your program's showcase time-slot. I went through PPS last year when I was searching for a PGY-2 and don't regret it at all. I was able to get to know several programs well and although I early committed to my current institution after Mid-year it allowed me to bring back some suggestions. Good luck!

I have the same question but for graduating students seeking PGY1s. I emailed a few residency directors stating my interest in the program and one wrote me back saying the dates and times she is available for interviews at midyear and to let her know if I want to reserve a certain time slot. I'm confused because I was under the impression that PPS was (1) mainly for those seeking PGY2s and (2) not a good way to interview because it doesn't replace an on-site interview. Can someone please advise...?? thanks!

Last edited:
I would say absolutely. The showcases aren't really geared for PGY-2 seekers although we did get several people interested in our PGY-2 programs. Also, you'll be limited to looking at other programs during your program's showcase time-slot. I went through PPS last year when I was searching for a PGY-2 and don't regret it at all. I was able to get to know several programs well and although I early committed to my current institution after Mid-year it allowed me to bring back some suggestions. Good luck!

I agree 100%. I interviewed at PPS whenever I could and used the residency showcase to get to know the programs that did not participate in PPS. If I had interviewed with a program at PPS and had time to stop by at the residency showcase, great. If not, no harm done.

Especially when vying for a PGY-2, you know more about what you want in a program, and I think PPS gives you a better opportunity to learn everything you need to know to make an educated decision. Plus, you'll be working with a much smaller group of preceptors as a PGY-2, so it will be even more important that you "click" with them. If you can't even stand them for a 15-30 minute interview, it's probably best to save yourself the time and money required to interview on-site. In my opinion, PPS is worth the money, the time and the effort.

As for the suggestions comment, Translucent1 is spot on. I altered the course of my current program by pulling bits and pieces from other programs. Overall, staying at my PGY-1 site was the best fit, but there were certainly things about the other programs that I was excited to share with my residency director and incorporate into my own PGY-2.

I have the same question but for graduating students seeking PGY1s. I emailed a few residency directors stating my interest in the program and one wrote me back saying the dates and times she is available for interviews at midyear and to let her know if I want to reserve a certain time slot. I'm confused because I was under the impression that PPS was (1) mainly for those seeking PGY2s and (2) not a good way to interview because it doesn't replace an on-site interview. Can someone please advise...?? thanks!

I think this depends on where you intend to apply. I wanted to apply to PGY-1 programs all over the country, and I found PPS to be very useful in my search. You'd be surprised by how much you can learn about a program in 15-30 minutes, and I found that PPS was very helpful in narrowing down my choices. It also allowed me to find and meet with programs I hadn't previously considered. In fact, I didn't know the program I ended up matching with even existed until I did PPS.

That said, PPS might not be the best idea if you have difficulty in interviews. You will have to fill the time slot with questions, answers and conversation... but it's not nearly as intense as a half- or full-day interview on-site. I can make conversation with a wall, but it was still nice to know some familiar faces when travelling to each facility. It helped me get those initial jitters out of the way and formulate more intelligent, succinct answers for the real deal interview. In a way, I used PPS as my interview prep. Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but it worked for me.

You'll get different opinions from different people about PPS... whatever landed each of us in our current position will be the "best" way to approach the residency search. What worked for me may seen ridiculous and over-the-top to someone else, but you just have to do what works "best" for you. G'luck!