Practice Passage Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tessellations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm looking for some good practice problem books I can buy. I already have an EK set for content review, but I was hoping to find some books that have passages modeled like the new MCAT. I'll obviously be doing plenty of full lengths, but I want some non test passages I can do on days where I can't do a FL/go over a FL. I also will be using the AAMC material closer to my exam, so I'm really looking for other material!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys!

I'm looking for some good practice problem books I can buy. I already have an EK set for content review, but I was hoping to find some books that have passages modeled like the new MCAT. I'll obviously be doing plenty of full lengths, but I want some non test passages I can do on days where I can't do a FL/go over a FL. I also will be using the AAMC material closer to my exam, so I'm really looking for other material!

The TBR books have tons of practice passages.

The TBR books have tons of practice passages.
Hi! I have heard that TBR books have many practice passages (WHICH IS GREAT as I want the practice passages!), but are they representative of the MCAT style questions? People say they have harder questions but do TBR follow the same MCAT outline. I just want to use TBR for practice passages but they are quite expensive so I was thinking of buying an older version of TBR just to do questions... what do you think? Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder are they really that different from their Old Book?

Depending on the book, the amount of new questions varies. For instance, the 2016/2017 general chemistry books have about 500 new questions, all added AFTER April 2015. We kept many questions from before, after evaluating which of the four MCAT categories they fit into. Any question that didn't fit or that we didn't like got nixed.

Depending on the book, the amount of new questions varies. For instance, the 2016/2017 general chemistry books have about 500 new questions, all added AFTER April 2015. We kept many questions from before, after evaluating which of the four MCAT categories they fit into. Any question that didn't fit or that we didn't like got nixed.
Hi! so do you guys tend to focus on just content -driving questions or are they more or so representative of mcat style?? sorry new to the forums

Hi! so do you guys tend to focus on just content -driving questions or are they more or so representative of mcat style?? sorry new to the forums

We balance our questions out. Typically, about 20% of the passage-based and free standing questions following a chapter are recall and information based. About 30% are integrated questions that require the mixing of multiple concepts and applications. The remaining 50% fit into one of the four classifications listed in the AAMC guidelines. So we try to balance some review and relearn questions in with realistic practice questions. Generally speaking, the earlier questions in a chapter are review oriented and the later ones are more realistic.

Hi! I have heard that TBR books have many practice passages (WHICH IS GREAT as I want the practice passages!), but are they representative of the MCAT style questions? People say they have harder questions but do TBR follow the same MCAT outline. I just want to use TBR for practice passages but they are quite expensive so I was thinking of buying an older version of TBR just to do questions... what do you think? Thank you! :)

The new books are very expensive so if you can get your hands on the old copies for a cheaper price that's great. There are many who used the old books for the new exam and did just fine so I don't think it will be an issue.

Here are two study schedules that mainly used the old TBR books:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...6-lots-of-passages-not-too-much-anki.1195900/

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/koalats-all-in-one-mcat-guide.1195923/

In addition to the TBR books, make sure you do all the AAMC material. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user