Practice Scales vs. Real

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys think the real scoring scale is scored compared to the practice tests. Do you guys think a 46 on every PS/BS gives you a 12 like it does on the practice test? Or do you think there is a lot more that goes into giving out section grades. Do you think it's possible that you could get a 40/52 and ever get a 12? The 7/6 BS section makes me wonder if that could be true. Not to mention the whole spiel on "experimental items". What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably the best thing to do is not think about it too much.

I'm also pretty sure that the score conversions from raw-->scaled for the practice tests are not exactly the same as the real AAMC tests, but set in a way so that scaled scores are close to each other.

It may be possible for 40/52 to get a 12, but the score calculation and test standardization is a lot more complex than most people think. There are people who are hired professionals who are paid to deal with standardizing the test. It is a futile effort to try and figure out how experimentals actually work, so just go have a beer and forget about it :)

I know someone in real life who thought experimental questions were in the AAMC practice tests so he would "not count" like 4-5 questions as misses if he got them wrong since he would deem them as "experimental". He did not do well on the MCAT.