Practice without residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have graduated with an M.D. from one of the big 5 medical schools and are unable to match/get residency, does that mean you cant practice? Even if you plan on starting a private practice?

No, you cannot practice. At all. "Private practice" isn't some fantasy fun land where board licensure isn't necessary; it's a business and employment model for physicians.

Without matching, your $200,000+ degree is worth exactly zilch.

Members don't see this ad.

How much training post-graduation do PA and NP have?
I am not sure if I understand your question, but I will attempt to answer it... PA/NP do not need post grad training to practice medicine.

Most PA schools are 26-36 months and the first 14-24 months is basic sciences (i.e physio, anatomy, micro, pharm, pathology etc...). The last year, they rotate thru different specialties (IM, FM, Surgery, Peds etc...). Once they graduate, they can take the board, get their PA license and start working.

Most NP schools require a BSN degree. Some of them don't! and these latter ones are 3-year FT programs, so you can become an NP in 3 year as long as you already have a baccalaureate degree in something! The ones that require a BSN are 2-year, though some schools also have PT programs that people can complete in 3 years... Once you complete the program and pass your NP board, you can apply for a license and start practicing 'advanced nursing' (or medicine).

There are no requirements for post grad training for both PA/NP, but there are short 'residencies' that are usually 1-year long for people who desire to specialize.

As for the state of Missouri, there is another category of healthcare provider they have created (AP or Assistant Physician) and these providers are med school graduates that pass USMLE 1, 2 and 3 and do not want to do a residency or are not unable match for whatever reason... These med graduates can apply for license in Missouri and the state requires them to work for 1-month under the license of a physician before they can go on their own to practice... I am not sure if that program is up and running already, but the law was passed so it's a matter of time before they get it off the ground...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Big "5"? Now there's "5" that are "big"?

Listen, we gotta stop this nonsense.

There are only 3 schools who have a long track record of getting graduates into residency. They are: St. George's, Ross, and AUC. And, as far as graduates go, AUC even brings up the rear (with 226 grads in 2014 into U.S. residency on their Match lists, as opposed to Ross and SGU which both had more than 450).

Saba is under the Dutch government. And, they provide a good education. I'll grant you that. But, there is nothing "big" about them.

And there is no other "big" Caribbean school that meets the criteria of (1) solid and long-standing track record of getting grads into choice residencies, and (2) licensure in all 50 states [which is not the only criteria people should consider, although it's important].

Thank you.

-Skip
Well, I'm kinda big, and I graduated from MUA, so that makes MUA big, right? I guess a more accurate way to look at it would be percentage enrolled vs. percentage into residency? I could care less if it's big or not, and those states noted above don't care either. What matters are "certifications" from certain states (California being one) that other states then rely on for "verification" or "Big-ness". I like that. I'm big, I came from a "small" school, made it THROUGH residency (because of my maturity), stepping over the backs and heads of the fallen from the "big" schools. Hmmm, that works. OOOps, forgot, I DO take PM's.

Well, I'm kinda big, and I graduated from MUA, so that makes MUA big, right? I guess a more accurate way to look at it would be percentage enrolled vs. percentage into residency? I could care less if it's big or not, and those states noted above don't care either. What matters are "certifications" from certain states (California being one) that other states then rely on for "verification" or "Big-ness". I like that. I'm big, I came from a "small" school, made it THROUGH residency (because of my maturity), stepping over the backs and heads of the fallen from the "big" schools. Hmmm, that works. OOOps, forgot, I DO take PM's.

bf4cc994fc714326a9467c3d86c528407e494219c9681495f61145b456e6eb86.jpg

Good point! But I am not sure that people making 120k+ working 40-50 hrs/wk would want to become a resident working for minimum wage, but I could be wrong... Interestingly, I have a friend (a carib grad) who was able to use some loopholes in the system to get a GP license... and I asked him the other day if he applies to the match this year and he thought I was joking... The guy is making 180k/year working in rural America... Why would he want to become a resident?

W19 do you have the contact of your Caribbean friend who got his GP license? Can you pass it to me? my email is [email protected]
I am an IMG, YOG 2008, with GC. I got married to an American citizen, and we want to make our lives here in the US.
I am a Pediatrician in my country, I completed ECFMG certification this year and recently took Step 3. Also, I am currently applying for the Match 2017. I am very discouraged because I have had no interviews yet, and although I am willing to do the residency again anywhere and practice medicine in the US, if I do not match I want to keep practicing as a doctor. I have always worked in underserved medical communities in my country and I love being a primare care physician. If you could help me and get me in contact with him I would be greatly appreciated!

Fiorella