Practicing in cali after 5th attempt on Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papabear81

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just found out that I passed step 3 with a score of 223, but it was my 5th attempt. I have already finished 2 years of family medicine residency. My program wants me to have the step 3 passed by the 4th attempt in order for me to continue in the residency program and I just recently found that out too. So, I am confused as to what are my options at this point. I would appreciate any help/ advice if anybody has any information on this. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I just found out that I passed step 3 with a score of 223, but it was my 5th attempt. I have already finished 2 years of family medicine residency. My program wants me to have the step 3 passed by the 4th attempt in order for me to continue in the residency program and I just recently found that out too. So, I am confused as to what are my options at this point. I would appreciate any help/ advice if anybody has any information on this. Thank you.
The first thing to do is ask your PD if you're being fired. Once you get that answer, come back and we'll see how we can help.

Reactions: 1 users
What did they say after you failed the 4th time?

They likely have this rule because you a high risk of failing your FM boards with so many retakes.

Reactions: 1 user
First, congrats on passing.

You've left out details that make it difficult to answer.

You mentioned that your PD "wanted" you to pass it after 4 tries. That sounds like they will terminate you after your 4th fail. If your program is in Cali, then you are getting termed no matter what -- cali requires a full license for all PGY-3+ (last I checked, I'm not in Cali), and has a limit of 4 fails on Step 3 -- so you'd be legally unable to continue, even if your PD wanted to keep you.

So I think you're going to need a new program to start in. You'll need to start as a PGY-2 -- the ABFM requires that the last two years of training be in the same program. Your best chance is having your PD help you find a spot. Else, it comes down to contacting programs and seeing if there are any openings. You'll need a summary letter from your prior PD. And ultimately you may be limited in which states you can get a full license (although you can usually get a training license without a problem).

Reactions: 1 user
The first thing to do is ask your PD if you're being fired. Once you get that answer, come back and we'll see how we can help.

Hello,

Thank you for replying. They will not renew my contract at this time.