Practicing Medicine in Canada vs. The US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotTheApplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I used the search function to look for a similar thread, but couldn't find one. My apologies if I just suck at utilizing the right search terms and there is already a thread like this.[/I]

My husband has a hypothetical choice between going to medical school (and therefore being likely to practice medicine) in either Canada or the US. He has been accepted to the University of Cincinnati and is on Calgary's wait list. So if he gets off the waitlist, he'll need to choose between the schools.

What are everybody's thoughts/opinions/experiences regarding the differences in practicing medicine in the two countries? My husband is concerned about the possibility of patients being financially ruined after treatment because of the insurance/payment system in the US. That thought makes him quite uncomfortable.

Basically, what are the pros and cons of practicing in either nation, as far as you know?

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I used the search function to look for a similar thread, but couldn't find one. My apologies if I just suck at utilizing the right search terms and there is already a thread like this.[/I]

My husband has a hypothetical choice between going to medical school (and therefore being likely to practice medicine) in either Canada or the US. He has been accepted to the University of Cincinnati and is on Calgary's wait list. So if he gets off the waitlist, he'll need to choose between the schools.

What are everybody's thoughts/opinions/experiences regarding the differences in practicing medicine in the two countries? My husband is concerned about the possibility of patients being financially ruined after treatment because of the insurance/payment system in the US. That thought makes him quite uncomfortable.

Basically, what are the pros and cons of practicing in either nation, as far as you know?

Generally physicians can make more in the US. But who knows if that will be true in the future. I lived in canada for a while and i think both places are just fine for a physician to live in. Are both of you Canadian citizens? Is the tuition comparable or is one cheaper?

Generally physicians can make more in the US. But who knows if that will be true in the future. I lived in canada for a while and i think both places are just fine for a physician to live in. Are both of you Canadian citizens? Is the tuition comparable or is one cheaper?

He's a dual citizen. I'm a US citizen. I grew up in Ohio (so we have a family support network there which is the biggest selling point right now). He grew up in Canada (Ontario, though we currently live in Alberta).

Tuition is more expensive in the US, as is (obviously) health insurance. But most other cost of living expenses are cheaper than here in Calgary (I am still in sticker shock over food prices here). And once he qualifies for Ohio resident status the UC tuition will be not as bad (though I believe it's still higher than Calgary). Ohio has some incentive programs for attracting primary care doctors (assuming he goes into primary care) as far as loan repayment, as well as a low interest mortgage and down payment grant program for medical residents. Even so, I'm not sure how things would even out in the long run (financially) considering malpractice insurance costs and insurance costs in the states. Plus we'd have to move there, which will cost over a grand just for the moving truck.

Members don't see this ad :)
He's a dual citizen. I'm a US citizen. I grew up in Ohio (so we have a family support network there which is the biggest selling point right now). He grew up in Canada (Ontario, though we currently live in Alberta).

Tuition is more expensive in the US, as is (obviously) health insurance. But most other cost of living expenses are cheaper than here in Calgary (I am still in sticker shock over food prices here). And once he qualifies for Ohio resident status the UC tuition will be not as bad (though I believe it's still higher than Calgary). Ohio has some incentive programs for attracting primary care doctors (assuming he goes into primary care) as far as loan repayment, as well as a low interest mortgage and down payment grant program for medical residents. Even so, I'm not sure how things would even out in the long run (financially) considering malpractice insurance costs and insurance costs in the states. Plus we'd have to move there, which will cost over a grand just for the moving truck.

If he gets off the waiting list the things you should be most worried about it which school will be best for him as a student and for you as a family. If more family support is in one location then that is going to be a factor. If he likes one school and feels it will be a better fit then that should play into your decision. You can go to a school in one country and practice in the other. Decide which school will be the most beneficial for the next 4 years and then go there.

I think Calgary would be a better option personally. Cheaper tuition and you are already up there. Sounds like a winner.

Moving back and forth over the border is not at all an easy task. That's why we're trying to get information on what practicing medicine would be like in both places.

Well malpractice would be lower in Canada and you won't have to deal with patients not having insurance. Canadian physician pay has been on the rise and is especially high in Alberta due to the boom state of the economy thanks to oil.

For example: new attending general surgeons start at 400k salary + benefits. Heres the reference:

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/-/media/medicine/UME/ResidencyFair/FAQ_General_Surgery.pdf

In addition, Calgary Medical School is 3 years long vs 4 in the US which gives you an extra year of salary and one less year of tuition.

If you get off the waiting list i don't really think its a question at all. Calgary is likely the better choice for you. If you do change your mind there are opportunities to switch during residency, even after residency. Its not a cakewalk but its not impossible.