pre-clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedman

Future dentist, I hope
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw here that Pacific has a program that allows you to experience some aspects of "pre-clinical" before enerting dental school. Does anyone else know of any other programs, anywhere els ein the country that offer this.

Members don't see this ad.

vinmarsolutions.com

He's a former technitian for UCLA school of Dent who teaches tooth waxing, partial denture, and full denture pre-dental courses to give you some hands on experiences in pre-clinical type dentistry.

cool stuff!

Members don't see this ad :)
you might wanna check out UCLA pre-dental lab technique course too. :thumbup:

My undergrad ay Utah Valley State College had an upper division predental course where we did wax ups. I thought it was GREAT!

Has anyone every heard of any dental students not being able to do the hands on pre -clinical component. I kind of liken it to drawing. I feel I could practice drawing every day, and never improve on it. Is this the case with the hand skills involved in pre-clinical?

Your question is pretty much asking if ANYONE can do dentistry...and the answer is no.

Face it...it's a skill, and not anyone can acquire that skill. A vast majority can learn to do it with hard work to a level that is sufficient, a few are naturals, but there is always going to be a large group of people who cannot do the necessary hand skills to become dentists. Most of those who cannot do it are part of the geneal world population that never apply to ental school...i'm sure that the application process may weed out a few who may not ever have what it takes 9as well as many who do) and a few probably make it into dental school and then find out they can't cut a crown.

It's like anything else in life. I have a friend who tried repeatedly to finish high school...no one expects that he would be a great scholar.

I have a friend who trips climbing stairs...no one expects him to be a great dancer or ice skater.

In the same regard, not everyone can do dentistry. Some can't hack the science courses, some can't take the job environment, and, yes, some don't have the hand skills.