Pre-dent master's program suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crome

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am writing this thread looking for pre-dental master's programs to apply to. I'm looking for a degree-giving program that is tailored towards someone who has taken all the pre-reqs for dental school. I would prefer to stay in the midwest (I'm from Illinois) if possible but please post suggestions outside of midwest if you have any. Mainly looking for 1 year programs but am open to 2 year.

Current List:
Midwestern University - MS in biomedical health sciences
Case Western University - MS in medical physiology

Some things about me:
Year: Senior (graduation in 2022)
Major: Bioengineering
Current GPAs:
-Overall: 3.32
-Nonscience: 3.39
-Science: 2.72
-BCP: 2.93

I haven't taken the DAT yet but am planning to over winter break or next summer. Right now my biggest worry is that I won't have a DAT score ready for application to a master's program and I'll have to apply for the 2023 program.

Members don't see this ad.

I know SIU has a masters program, but its 2 years and I believe mainly targeted to medical school but I think its worth looking into. Also, I have a couple of friends that did a masters program at Barry University in FL that are in dental school now. Im also from IL :)

I did the Midwestern MA program, the one in Arizona. It was really rigorous, but prepared you well for dental school. I do think it helped me get in. However, I think you should take your DAT and try to crush that an apply and see if you can get in without doing the program. It would save you money and time if you could pull it off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know SIU has a masters program, but its 2 years and I believe mainly targeted to medical school but I think its worth looking into. Also, I have a couple of friends that did a masters program at Barry University in FL that are in dental school now. Im also from IL :)
Thank you for your suggestions! I'll look into both and see if SIU has an applicable program! Great to meet another person from Illinois! :D

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I did the Midwestern MA program, the one in Arizona. It was really rigorous, but prepared you well for dental school. I do think it helped me get in. However, I think you should take your DAT and try to crush that an apply and see if you can get in without doing the program. It would save you money and time if you could pull it off.
I was looking at the Arizona program! I have heard the Midwestern master's is pretty intense but I read in another forum that it covered a lot of the content from the first year of dental school which I thought was pretty interesting. I know the DAT is the big make or break here but I just don't feel confident enough to apply, especially with my science GPA, even if I did get an above average DAT score. I switched to pre-dent fairly recently and with covid-19, the rest of my application isn't exactly exceptional as I'm lacking in the shadowing department. I really appreciate your input though! Thank you!

I'm doing a German MA because I wanted to, and also a bit because it helps me stand out in a sea of 100% STEM students.

I'm doing a German MA because I wanted to, and also a bit because it helps me stand out in a sea of 100% STEM students.
Wow that's cool you're doing a different type of masters! Unfortunately, I think I'll be sticking with a science-heavy curriculum due to my extremely low science GPA.

Midwestern's was awesome. The benefit of the 2-year research-based one, is that there is a dental research group. When I did my 2 year MBS there, I got to know many of the faculty and admissions people because I helped them with their projects. Obviously it is a longer program (and thus more expensive in a number of ways) but it was super beneficial for me come application time a few years ago.

I did the Masters of Microbiology and Immunology program at Tulane. 1 year degree program and it was SO awesome. I loved all of the faculty and the curriculum. Also, now that I'm in dental school I found that a lot of my classmates didn't have a good foundation of micro and immuno so I felt really ahead when it was time to learn those topics.

Also who doesn't want to live in New Orleans for a year :p that city is awesome.

Where did your friends get into dental school? I heard so much about Barry...do they have connections with the dental schools?

Where did your friends get into dental school? I heard so much about Barry...do they have connections with the dental schools?
Theyre current D4s! Im not 100% sure, but I think its definitely something to look into because Ive heard about their program from multiple people :)

I had a friend that went through Creighton's and got accepted into the following fall's class. Not a true master's program but gets the job done if you meet their requirements!

I did the Masters of Microbiology and Immunology program at Tulane. 1 year degree program and it was SO awesome. I loved all of the faculty and the curriculum. Also, now that I'm in dental school I found that a lot of my classmates didn't have a good foundation of micro and immuno so I felt really ahead when it was time to learn those topics.

Also who doesn't want to live in New Orleans for a year :p that city is awesome.
Hi could I message you about the program? I am about to start this in about a month.

Hi everyone! I applied to Novas program and I’m waiting to hear back but I’m looking at other options now