Pre-Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LooneyBin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I'm 22, finished school to be in IT, and HATE it. I hate sitting in front of computers and waiting for something interesting to happen. I've gone back to school (Pre dental if you couldn't tell) and have a few questions!

Firstly, I'm thinking of getting an associates in dental hygiene and going to a uni from there to get a bachelors in science then to Dental school. From what I understand, that is a big no-no for Med schools (Nurse to doctor) and it frowned upon. Is that the case as well for dental hygienists to dentist? Also, would it add any time to my schooling taking this route?

I would be getting my associates in a community college before switching to a four-year. Anyone that went to Indiana University know how any of this would affect my ability to get in? I have to stay in state (I'm married and have kids) so leaving is not possible for me.
Any and all questions and answers are welcomed and appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you pursuing a second Bachelors if you already graduated? Just take the pre-reqs, the DAT, and get involved through outreach and volunteering. You also need shadowing hours. Most dentist work Saturday so start making that your routine.

You do not need to become a dental hygienist. It will not hurt or harm you. Nursing and Physicians are different because they belong to different associations so Nurses are expected to go as high as LPN or CRNA and work without the supervision of a physician. Physicians do not like that. Probably why people told you not to do that.

Contact Indiana U or visit their website's FAQ section.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Why are you pursuing a second Bachelors if you already graduated? Just take the pre-reqs, the DAT, and get involved through outreach and volunteering. You also need shadowing hours. Most dentist work Saturday so start making that your routine.

You do not need to become a dental hygienist. It will not hurt or harm you. Nursing and Physicians are different because they belong to different associations so Nurses are expected to go as high as LPN or CRNA and work without the supervision of a physician. Physicians do not like that. Probably why people told you not to do that.

Contact Indiana U or visit their website's FAQ section.

Best of luck!
I never got my bachelors. ITSF (Information technology in Security forensics) was an associate program. Also, they met like... the BASIC pre req requirements and my grades weren't the best towards the end. My mom died. Was quite a distraction.

It's good to know it won't hurt or ad any time though, I really want to start working in the dental field as soon as I can. Just was worried it would add time to going to finishing school.

I know on their site they mention that students who get credits from Ivytech, (22/108 or something, don't remember the exact number) but just wanted to find a student who was in the same seat to get the confirmation.

Thank you for responding, and wishing me luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the whole point of IT, don't you browse Imgur? IT is always a lot of downtime...usually it's a can you fix my printer or something insignificant.

Like what @DMDDDSHopeful said, you don't need additional degrees to apply to dental school. Just take the pre-reqs and DAT. I've seen some doctors become nurses and some hygienists become dentists. I would just pursue Dental School if I were you. If you are still confused, then why not apply to both?

Staying in-state only will severely limit your options and chances to get into Dental school. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
That's the whole point of IT, don't you browse Imgur? IT is always a lot of downtime...usually it's a can you fix my printer or something insignificant.

ITSF was more or less suppose to be about hacking prevention and the law behind computers, but it turned out to be the same as
help desk.
I know It will lower my chances as well, and I know my husband will support me and any decision I make, but it doesn't mean I want to leave.

ITSF was more or less suppose to be about hacking prevention and the law behind computers, but it turned out to be the same as
help desk.

I know It will lower my chances as well, and I know my husband will support me and any decision I make, but it doesn't mean I want to leave.
Helpdesk is usually the starting point in IT if you didn't get a bachelors in comp sci. Then from there, you work your way up into networking/security/programming/etc. A degree isn't the end-all in IT/comp sci. You get the degree (which is mostly optional), then actually build your skills in an area (more important than degree).

Skip the Dental Hygenist degree and just pursue either the pre-reqs for dental or a BA/BS that includes the pre-reqs. Obtaining a Dental Hygenist degree would just be a huge waste of time since virtually all of those classes won't fulfill any pre-reqs. Just my $0.02

Skip the associates in hygiene plan and just shoot for the bachelors in a science major that covers the prereqs. Also consider taking some of the recommended predent courses listed on the adea website