Pre interview dinner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acess2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Have to attend preinterview dinner in the first week of next month. the coordinator called me asked about if i smoke and i said no.
I don't drink alcohol every day but don't mind drinking a sip once in awhile. is this going to affect my candidacy for that program? I am 30+ and I am single and i don't have a partner to take with me. How should i behave to impress them. Please advise.
Just wondering what do they expect from you during that dinner.

Members don't see this ad.

I Have to attend preinterview dinner in the first week of next month. the coordinator called me asked about if i smoke and i said no.
I don't drink alcohol every day but don't mind drinking a sip once in awhile. is this going to affect my candidacy for that program? I am 30+ and I am single and i don't have a partner to take with me. How should i behave to impress them. Please advise.
Just wondering what do they expect from you during that dinner.

They don't expect anything from you in terms of drinking/smoking. They asked about smoking because some locations allow it and some don't. Drinking is your choice -- many of the residents will have a beer, so if you drink, you can feel free to have one too. I'd stay away from the hardcore things -- no long island iced teas, and limit your drinking to "a" drink (remember you have an interview the next morning). Or don't drink at all -- nobody is going to care, and hopefully nobody is going to pressure you into doing things you don't like. The point of the dinner is for the residents to meet you and vice versa -- you will be working together long hours and so they have to like you (and vice versa). Plus you can ask some of the more residenty questions that you might not want to ask the program director. (within reason).

30+ years old and you're asking how to act to impress them? Sorry to razz ya man....but come one.

Just act normal, ask halfway intelligent questions, and don't dress outlandish or act weird and you'll be fine. It doesn't matter if you have a spouse vs. not. It's fine to come alone...a lot of others will be alone too.

Don't order a steak well-done, and/or send it back. Also, chew with your mouth closed.