Pre-matriculation purchases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeesh all that super expensive iphone and surface tech and you still have to do this?? It's called a calendar app :rolleyes::p

What's the deal with these herman miller chairs though, it's the first time I've heard of them
I don't own the phone or computer yet. I may switch to a calendar app, do you have any recommendations? There is something satisfying about moving a physical object like a sticky note when you are done with a task. And the board stays on all the time staring at you with all the stuff that needs to be done.

The Herman Miller chairs are the benchmark in ergonomic seating. Ergo all the fuss, since you will spend a great amount of time in a chair , it's not a bad idea to invest in something nice.

Members don't see this ad.

Question about computer gear. I have an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil (don't like the pencil though), but an outdated laptop and outdated desktop, so I have to buy a new computer for med school. What computer should I buy to use with my iPad Pro? Heavy duty laptop or desktop or desktop+very light laptop? Should I buy the new MacBook Pro and use it as my primary computer?? Or should I wait until next Aug before I start school and hope apple updates its small MacBook so I can do the desktop +macbook + iPad Pro? Please help a tech noob!
I would look at the school's website. they may have specific recommendations about computers. I would go to best buy and play around with the MacBook and the surface line to see which one feels good to you. There should be enough computing power in either machine for what you will be needing it for unless you plan on data crunching large data sets for research.

Reactions: 1 user
Question about computer gear. I have an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil (don't like the pencil though), but an outdated laptop and outdated desktop, so I have to buy a new computer for med school. What computer should I buy to use with my iPad Pro? Heavy duty laptop or desktop or desktop+very light laptop? Should I buy the new MacBook Pro and use it as my primary computer?? Or should I wait until next Aug before I start school and hope apple updates its small MacBook so I can do the desktop +macbook + iPad Pro? Please help a tech noob!

You are likely going to need to have some sort of real laptop in order to take tests - check with your school as @libertyyne says to see if they have specific requirements. You're not going to really need a heavy duty anything in med school unless you're working on very specific research projects (in which case your lab will likely have that technology), but you will need a sturdy, functional laptop.

Given that you're currently planning on using two computers for some reason, I think it would be the best bang for your buck to just get a single laptop and then if you want to use it as a desktop, get an accessory keyboard and mouse. If you want to stick with apple, you won't go wrong with the 13 inch macbook pro, 15 inch macbook pro, or even the macbook (though if you are going to get just the macbook, you're probably right that you should wait until next summer until they do a refresh so that you can either get the newest version, or get the old version for reduced price). However, I personally think that the regular macbook is overpriced for what you're getting (on top of the fact that apple already overprices everything), so I would just spring for the 13 inch pro then. If you want a windows computer, I would ask around, but the surface pro seems to be popular (though you already have the ipad pro, so it might be highly redundant other than test taking capabilities).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

No reason for you to have an ipad, laptop, and desktop. Thats certainly overkill unless you are someone who is a PC gamer. I have no interest in PC gaming so that is certainly worth noting, but my plan is to get the new Macbook Pro with Touch Bar and then just push 1 or 2 external monitors. The new Macbook has more than enough power to play the role as a desktop.

I want a crock-pot so I can cook at least a few days of meals at once. This won't be expensive but I just forget to buy one every time I'm at the store.

I made BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches last night with ours. They're so awesome. Ours was a huge help in Hawaii when we had a 15 month old and a newborn, and I was gone all the time. My wife used to just throw food in there and leave it.

It helps with organization as well.
wp_20150705_13_04_58_pro-1-jpg.209579

Holy Howard Hughes, Batman.

Holy Howard Hughes, Batman.
I was working full time, i needed a system to prep for the MCAT to keep me on task, so i created one. It worked out well. Each color was different subject, and each sticky a topic chapter or a Full length exam. the right corner was just completed stickies.

I was working full time, i needed a system to prep for the MCAT to keep me on task, so i created one. It worked out well. Each color was different subject, and each sticky a topic chapter or a Full length exam. the right corner was just completed stickies.

Whatever works for you! You got a few acceptances, so it didn't hurt.

I don't own the phone or computer yet. I may switch to a calendar app, do you have any recommendations? There is something satisfying about moving a physical object like a sticky note when you are done with a task. And the board stays on all the time staring at you with all the stuff that needs to be done.

The Herman Miller chairs are the benchmark in ergonomic seating. Ergo all the fuss, since you will spend a great amount of time in a chair , it's not a bad idea to invest in something nice.
google calendar for everything. its what most professionals use anyway and you can auto add things (events/appointments) from your email into your cal. also google tasks are nice though they dont have a lot of features.

then if you want an app you have so many to choose from which will then just grab ur calendar from gcal. I try out a new one every few months just to see whats out there.

google calendar for everything. its what most professionals use anyway and you can auto add things (events/appointments) from your email into your cal. also google tasks are nice though they dont have a lot of features.

then if you want an app you have so many to choose from which will then just grab ur calendar from gcal. I try out a new one every few months just to see whats out there.
I use gcal currently, wasnt sure if I was missing out one something else that was awesome. Thanks!

You are likely going to need to have some sort of real laptop in order to take tests - check with your school as @libertyyne says to see if they have specific requirements. You're not going to really need a heavy duty anything in med school unless you're working on very specific research projects (in which case your lab will likely have that technology), but you will need a sturdy, functional laptop.

Given that you're currently planning on using two computers for some reason, I think it would be the best bang for your buck to just get a single laptop and then if you want to use it as a desktop, get an accessory keyboard and mouse. If you want to stick with apple, you won't go wrong with the 13 inch macbook pro, 15 inch macbook pro, or even the macbook (though if you are going to get just the macbook, you're probably right that you should wait until next summer until they do a refresh so that you can either get the newest version, or get the old version for reduced price). However, I personally think that the regular macbook is overpriced for what you're getting (on top of the fact that apple already overprices everything), so I would just spring for the 13 inch pro then. If you want a windows computer, I would ask around, but the surface pro seems to be popular (though you already have the ipad pro, so it might be highly redundant other than test taking capabilities).

My school requires the ipad to take exams (and for most everything..). You're correct, just check with your school on their technology requirements/suggestions. So, I have my ipad pro and my macbook pro for when I need it.

I made BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches last night with ours. They're so awesome. Ours was a huge help in Hawaii when we had a 15 month old and a newborn, and I was gone all the time. My wife used to just throw food in there and leave it.
Oh my goodness....I may need that recipe!

Yknow, I've been trying different calendar and task-list apps for years now. There are millions on the app store with all kinds of fancy features and styles. But I always just keep coming back to the standard iOS ones. They're simple, but if there's one thing Apple does best, it's solid software-hardware integration. GCal will work just fine with them.

That Aeron price tag made my eyes water a little bit, are they usually available on the secondhand market?

Yknow, I've been trying different calendar and task-list apps for years now. There are millions on the app store with all kinds of fancy features and styles. But I always just keep coming back to the standard iOS ones. They're simple, but if there's one thing Apple does best, it's solid software-hardware integration. GCal will work just fine with them.

That Aeron price tag made my eyes water a little bit, are they usually available on the secondhand market?
@Gurby bought one, i looked on my local CL and there are a few available for 200-400 which isnt too bad considering they are 1200+. I think the Mirra versions are lower cost alternatives.