Pre-Med Advice with Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bella Huynh

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I am a current undergraduate student at CSULA with a Biology major and planning on graduating in the Spring 2019. I want to go to medical school, I know that I might not be the best student out there but do I have a chance? Here are my stats:

1) My current GPA is 3.1 and if I were to have straight A's (hypothetically) in my last two semesters then my GPA would be 3.3 --> so my advisor told me I should do a post bacc program to improve my GPA. She already calculated if I were to get straight A's in the post bacc then I can have a GPA of 3.4

2) I was planning on taking the MCAT in April 13, 2018 but after talking with her about the post bacc, I am thinking of doing the post bacc then take the MCAT and applying the next cycle.

3) EC: I have been volunteering at the ER for two years (~360 hours, and still counting)
I have a phlebotomy license and currently looking for a job
I am an officer of the premed club at my school
I have research (1 1/2 years, and still continuing)
missing shadowing, community service

I am Vietnamese and I have a US citizenship btw

I know my chances are very, very, very, slim but should I still try shooting for it? I really want to become a doctor and I have tried my best, I know that I am not that smart but I have been doing everything I can in trying to be a competitive student. I go to all the pre-med conferences and talk to the admissions. I think that a post bacc would help me but money is also the problem. And also, do medical schools look at you lowly or differently because you did a post bacc?

Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)