Pre med and Business

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I have enough AP and IB credits to do a double major in Biochemistry and Finance and graduate in four years. I'm interested in biochem more, but I enjoy finance also and I think it would be a good backup plan. Does this sound like a good plan or is it true that medical schools frown upon vocational majors?

Members don't see this ad.

Double major in biochem + finance is fine. Gl just remember that most medical schools do not accept some classes. So be sure to still have 1 year of college bio with lab and 1 year of college physics done, not worrying about your chem reqs since your a biochem major.

Hey,
I have enough AP and IB credits to do a double major in Biochemistry and Finance and graduate in four years. I'm interested in biochem more, but I enjoy finance also and I think it would be a good backup plan. Does this sound like a good plan or is it true that medical schools frown upon vocational majors?

exactly what i was thinking. may be one day we can end up manufacturing drugs and sell them for more than they are worth. i am seriouse :).

Members don't see this ad :)
every single pharmaceutical company already does this lol

join them or to not join them, that is of the question. unless i get into medical school and obama gets pwned, and set a history in this country that public option(lolifudontpayforhealthcareugotoprison) should not be considered for atleast another 50 years.

I have been looking around collegeconfidential and other forums and have seen that economics is a more sought after major than a business degree. I'm more interested about business than economics. My questions are: do you learn anything about business in an economics major? how much math is involved in economics (as in how many math classes)?

Do what you love! Don't think about what major "looks good" for med school because, in my opinion, any double major along with substantial ECs, volunteering, etc. etc. will look impressive :)

I did a double major in Cell Biology and Business. Sure, it was a lot of work, but I have no regrets about the Business degree. I think through my coursework in the b-school and my investment banking internship experiences, I've developed many transferable skills that will benefit me in medicine. I also built many sweet connections. I actually talked about my bschool experience extensively in my medical school interview, and I think my interviewers were quite impressed. If you are truly interested in finance, go for it!