Pre-med club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twoinone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my school, we have a regular premed club(not honors or anything special) and they basically serve as a middle man sort of agency by connecting you with various places to volunteer and shadow etc. however these are the things that i can do by myself without their help. Oh and they charge $40 for it btw. Should i join this club? or will med schools simply think of this as another typical pre med thing and therefore wouldn't stand out. What do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

med schools like to see that you participated in activities. you may even try to get yourself a leadership position in the club.

it's probably worth it just for the application padding.

Waste of dough. Seems like nothing more than a time-wasting obligation that adcoms will most likely see right through.

But if you like being in the same room with 80 other obsessive-compulsive arrogant pre-meds who pleasure themselves to the sight of their own GPA, by all means....go right ahead and join.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waste of dough. Seems like nothing more than a time-wasting obligation that adcoms will most likely see right through.

But if you like being in the same room with 80 other obsessive-compulsive arrogant pre-meds who pleasure themselves to the sight of their own GPA, by all means....go right ahead and join.
yet on the other hand they might see you as being less involved than the typical pre-med.

if you substitute this club with some other good activity, by all means do it. if you have nothing else to do, you might want to consider it.

yet on the other hand they might see you as being less involved than the typical pre-med.

if you substitute this club with some other good activity, by all means do it. if you have nothing else to do, you might want to consider it.

There have to be hundreds of clubs on a campus. Something has to be more enjoyable...and if nothing else...better looking to an admissions committee.

i did marching band and it was refreshing to get away from the gunners for a while. getting to meet different people in a non-competitive atmosphere is good. plus, you'll talk about things other than your gpa, volunteering, and how to improve your app.

just something to think about.

can't we just sticky a thread titled "pre-med club is a waste of time"?

unless you hold some leadership role and pour in a lot of time... membership in the club won't actually win you any adcom brownie points.

As for the volunteering/shadowing opportunities, 50/50. It is good to have those presented to you. If you honestly can't find any on your own, then I guess it would be worth joining but you'd want to participate in the shadowing/volunteering to the extent where you'd list those independently, not as part of the club.

unless you hold some leadership role and pour in a lot of time... membership in the club won't actually win you any adcom brownie points.

As for the volunteering/shadowing opportunities, 50/50. It is good to have those presented to you. If you honestly can't find any on your own, then I guess it would be worth joining but you'd want to participate in the shadowing/volunteering to the extent where you'd list those independently, not as part of the club.

Ditto.

I would join it if for no other reason than it's easy to hold a leaderhsip position. Despite the fact that everyone is super-competitive, people lose interest throughout the year and stop attending meetings. If you show up at meetings, do the group volunteer work, participate in advertising the club, come up with ideas, or anything else that basically involves you working with the current officers and being active in the club - you can easily slip into a leadership role within a year when election time rolls around.

The thing with the pre-med club is you have to be active in order to get anything (even resume filler) out of it. So if you pay the $40 to join the listserv and never go to meetings, no, the pre-med club won't do you any good. If you are active and participate in club events, you can get a leadership role that sets you apart from the 800 other pre-meds in the "pre-med club."