This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MO Bal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am gonna be a junior this fall and I wanna make sure that I am taking all the courses that I need to do well on the MCAT and in med school as well. Do you guys think I should stick with this plan or minor in gerontology (or philosophy) instead of taking immuno,histo, and A&P?

I greatly appreciate your opinions.

My current GPA is 3.73.

upload_2017-6-20_18-23-45.png

Members don't see this ad.

Looks fine, you can always adjust as you go. You might have better results moving Anatomy and Physiology to junior year and take those and psych soc before the mcat.

Reactions: 1 user
1.) Stay biology if you like it, but you should really think about taking some different upper-level bio classes in place of A&P I & II. You're already taking Animal Physio your 3rd year, a 400-class, and then taking A&P I & II, 200-level classes your senior year - not the strongest bio curriculum. Medical schools will look for evidence that you worked your way up the course catalogs, especially in your major department. Don't worry too much about having clinical overlap, for example, if you like sharks and stingrays (just a random example of bio with no clinical overlap) take an elasmobranch class, it really doesn't matter, it'll be the last time you get to take classes like that before you graduate and never are in undergrad again... If you really want to take A&P before med school take them the summer before you enter Med school/after you graduate, not part of your bio degree.

2.) Where's Physics? You can self-study Developmental and Sociology for the MCAT much better than for Physics, you may be better off taking that your third year in place of those two and maybe take them over the summer. For me, sociology and developmental psychology were not hard, but very interesting, maybe take them over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
* I see the physics. Just makes it easier for you. :)

He has physics in year 2 and AP is going to be more relavant than animal AP unless thats what OP enjoys then he should take what he/she likes.