Pre med in 2 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theone1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a community college for my ASN in freshman year fall 2007. After taking a year off from school to work as a CNA to help mom and dad (my choice) with the house and bills, i went back spring 2009 for part time. now its 2011 and i took most of my core classes (except sciences ) for a bachelors degree, but i don't want to be a nurse anymore. I have an interest going to medical school. I haven't taken any pre med classes yet. i currently have a 3.2 gpa. Im in the process of attending a university in the fall of 2011 with a major in sociology (always been interested in that).

I have 2 years left on my bachelors degree. should i try to fit my pre med classes into the last 2 years or should i just focus on the degree and get a post bac after i graduate? Im worried because i spent like 4 years at a community college. im 23, i was suppose to graduate this may.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a community college for my ASN in freshman year fall 2007. After taking a year off from school to work as a CNA to help mom and dad (my choice) with the house and bills, i went back spring 2009 for part time. now its 2011 and i took most of my core classes (except sciences ) for a bachelors degree, but i don't want to be a nurse anymore. I have an interest going to medical school. I haven't taken any pre med classes yet. i currently have a 3.2 gpa. Im in the process of attending a university in the fall of 2011 with a major in sociology (always been interested in that).

I have 2 years left on my bachelors degree. should i try to fit my pre med classes into the last 2 years or should i just focus on the degree and get a post bac after i graduate? Im worried because i spent like 4 years at a community college. im 23, i was suppose to graduate this may.

Right now is not the time to decide what you should do after graduation; this will depend on how you do during the next 2 years.

Continue on your bachelors, protect your GPA as much as possible. Deciding if you need a post bacc comes later in the game.

Best of luck!

^^ Correct.

If you do very, very well in your future classes you may be able to bring your GPA up to 3.4/3.5+, in which case you'll be in good shape to apply to DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact you have such a poor GPA in one of the easiest majors in the world, and at a community college, makes me seriously doubt your ability to to do well on the science pre-reqs. But anything is possible.

Look into post-bacc programs in your area. Many of them will take people with a certain number of pre-reqs already completed, that way you can take some now, and some later. However, Sociology is a really easy major so you will probably be able to complete all the pre-reqs along with your upper division work in 3 years, which would make doing a post-bacc unneeded. The most important thing is to raise your GPA, because right now you aren't going to get in anywhere.

+1

the fact you have such a poor gpa in one of the easiest majors in the world, and at a community college, makes me seriously doubt your ability to to do well on the science pre-reqs. But anything is possible.

Look into post-bacc programs in your area. Many of them will take people with a certain number of pre-reqs already completed, that way you can take some now, and some later. However, sociology is a really easy major so you will probably be able to complete all the pre-reqs along with your upper division work in 3 years, which would make doing a post-bacc unneeded. The most important thing is to raise your gpa, because right now you aren't going to get in anywhere.