Pre-med- Nutrition Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss155

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Are nutrition majors looked down upon even though its a bachelor of science? I keep hearing people say it is easy. And I was just wondering if it is a bad major for pre-med students?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your GPA is good it won't really hurt you. Although everyone does think nutrition is a BullSh*t - BS.

nutrition is not easy at all. I wonder where people got the info. that nutrition is easy when they haven't taken a single nutrition class. Do well and you should be fine. You could even have an advantage in med school

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, i never knew that 'everyone thinks that nutrition is a bullsh%t BS'? on my interviews, the only comments about my major were very positive ones. the research i got involved with, along with the very strong association between diet and chronic illness all made for great topics for conversation. i've also found that quite a few of my nutrition courses have helped me immensely in medical school (especially pathophys oriented topics, pharm, and pathogenesis of chronic disease).

my requirements for my degree had 2 semesters of bio, 2 semesters of gen chem, 2 semesters of ochem, 2 semesters of physics, calculus, biochemistry, quantitative analysis, statistics, and about 10 nutrition courses where biochemistry was a prerequisite. i didn't think it was all that easy. some courses were very tough. try getting a gpa over 3.7 with those courses. we graduated about 20-something students in 2001 (Berkeley) and only two had gpa's over a 3.5. it isn't an easy major, although i did find it incredibly practical and very interesting.

i wouldn't listen to people like Amit. i've met people that bash majors (most of them were MCB majors at Cal) and they usually do it b/c they need to feel like they are doing something difficult. try not to let their opinions persuade you one way or the other. think things out for yourself. i just wanted to let you know that my interviewers had a lot of positive things to say. most said that they wished there was more nutrition in their curricula and that my foci had a lot of relevance in the movement of modern medicine. but hey, maybe those physicians don't know a damn thing? maybe Amit is right?

As a MCB major myself, I could attest to that. It is true that MCB majors are the ones who like to bash other majors. People like those are the ones who are miserable and wish they were doing something else.

do you believe your nutrition major adequately prepared you for the MCAT?

Im a biochem major and I dont see why if they took all of thes prereqs that it wouldnt. I mean they got all the way to biochem.

I graduated UCB Nutrition B.S. also. I loved it. It is a great way to do pre-med if you find the material interesting. At my school, the nutrition department was a refreshing change from some of the other hard-core scienc majors. The science of Nutrition is quite challenging b/c it combines bio, biochem, physiology, chem, as well as economics, behavioral science. However, the people in the department were more laid back. There are more women, it is less competitive. Most professors let us call them by their first names. Nutrition Scientists are also foodies, so that's cool if you are too. There are the Nutrition bashers but that is b/c they are ignorant and like to inflate themselves. A nutrition major won't be easy, but will probably have fewer of the types of students who would bash others. I am a Nutritionist, so I have met Nutritionists from other schools and most tend to have had similar experiences like I described. Finding that major was the best thing that happened to me academically b/c I was so disgusted and discouraged by the attitudes of some students and even professors in other science disciplines.

So if you don't care about others' perception of your chosen major, then nutrition may be a good choice. It is practical and applicable. Moreover, since obesity is our nation's #2 cause of preventable deaths, and increasing, having nutriton knowledge should help you in the admissions process and youra career.

Content wise, it is a good review for the MCAT, especially b/c you review organ systems thoughroly. I also thinks nutriton science is a discipline forces you to attack problems in a way that may be beneficial in answering MCAT questions. I would elaborate, but I am falling asleep.

HI

DO ANY OF THE PRE-MED STUDENTS IN YOUR SCHOOL CHOSE TO MAJOR IN NUTRTITION?