lucy831

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to the Rutger 0-6 program which I will be paying in-state tuition for and will have a PharmD by the time I'm 24. It has a 91% job placement rate and $115k starting salary. Also don't have to take the PCAT and I have guaranteed admission to the pharm school (huge plus). However, I also got into GW for pre-med with a pretty good scholarship but still more expensive than the pharm program. Pre-med seems risky to me because med school is so hard to get into and I don't want to be stuck with a bio degree since there isn't much you can do with that. I know I'd rather be a doctor than a pharmacist but I still find pharmacy very interesting and will be happy with a career in it. I also LOVE GW and would really wanna go there. I'm just very conflicted about which school to choose. Which is a better choice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not saying that is is impossible to like both medicine and pharmacy, but as someone who has a little experience in both they are CRAZY different fields. I would shadow both and see what you enjoy most. I take a lot of classes with PharmD kids and I know of a handful that are bailing out of it to pursue other avenues (PA, MBA, dent) due to the nature of the job market.

If you are comfortable with the job market of a pharmacist (ask current pharmacists about it, don't just google it because I could be completely wrong) and think you could be happy with it, I say do it. Medicine is a huge sacrifice and if you could be happy in another field I would take it and run.

I got accepted to the Rutger 0-6 program which I will be paying in-state tuition for and will have a PharmD by the time I'm 24. It has a 91% job placement rate and $115k starting salary. Also don't have to take the PCAT and I have guaranteed admission to the pharm school (huge plus). However, I also got into GW for pre-med with a pretty good scholarship but still more expensive than the pharm program. Pre-med seems risky to me because med school is so hard to get into and I don't want to be stuck with a bio degree since there isn't much you can do with that. I know I'd rather be a doctor than a pharmacist but I still find pharmacy very interesting and will be happy with a career in it. I also LOVE GW and would really wanna go there. I'm just very conflicted about which school to choose. Which is a better choice?

https://pharmacy.rutgers.edu/wp-content/uploads/PharmD-MD-dual-degree-Info.pdf

Get a 3.5+ GPA in your first couple of years in the 0-6 PharmD program, and if you're still interested in medicine, apply to the program I linked above. Good luck!