Pre-Med Reading List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBCrzzyy

The moon is just the back of the sun.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any recent threads with a similar topic and I am an avid reader. I thought this might be a good idea for anyone else that is looking for their next book and are deep in the throes of this year's application process. (or really at any point in their medical career) feel free to add any! I may add a couple that aren't medicine related but are just good reads. Here's my list:

"Confessions of a Surgeon" by Paul A. Ruggieri, MD

"Brain on Fire" by Susannah Cahalan

"The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston

"Panic on Level 4" by Richard Preston

"Trauma" by Dr. James Cole

"Better" by Atul Gawande

"The Male Brain" by Louann Brizendine MD

"The Female Brain" by Louann Brizendine MD

"Last Night in the OR" by Bud Shaw MD

"Stiff" by Mary Roach

"On Call in Hell" by Richard Jadick DO

I have not read every one of these but I do own all of them and fully intend on reading them all.

One of my personal favorites but is not Medicine related: "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein

I'm always looking to add new books to my list so if anyone wants to comment on books or add some please feel free :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Jesus, we just had this thread.

Was this a humblebrag on how many med related human interest/fiction books you've read???

:p

Reactions: 2 users
Jesus, we just had this thread.

Was this a humblebrag on how many med related human interest/fiction books you've read???

:p
Lol i didn't search extensively beforehand so I definitely missed it. I haven't read most of those but they are sitting on my shelf so def not a humble brag. Was hoping that some people had feedback on any of the books or had a few that I should add to my list (as if I need another reason to go to a bookstore). Mostly posted out of boredom

Members don't see this ad :)
it's OK and I'll forgive you if you add "House of God" to your list. Required reading of the doc that mentored me for med school. Now I "require" of others.

Reactions: 1 users
I will add it!

it's OK and I'll forgive you if you add "House of God" to your list. Required reading of the doc that mentored me for med school. Now I "require" of others.

What a dark book. Taught me the art of turfing and raising patient beds to "neuro height" Really good read, though, along with the sequel.

Also add "Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness, Only More So" - Mark Vonnegut.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
how hasn't "When Breath Becomes Air" by Dr. Paul Kalanithi been mentioned yet

Reactions: 3 users
"An Anatomy of Addiction: Sigmund Freud, William Halsted, and the Miracle Drug Cocaine" -Howard Markel, MD, Ph.D.

how hasn't "When Breath Becomes Air" by Dr. Paul Kalanithi been mentioned yet

That looks so good. Let's see if i can find time to read that this coming semester

I didn't see any recent threads with a similar topic and I am an avid reader. I thought this might be a good idea for anyone else that is looking for their next book and are deep in the throes of this year's application process. (or really at any point in their medical career) feel free to add any! I may add a couple that aren't medicine related but are just good reads. Here's my list:

"Confessions of a Surgeon" by Paul A. Ruggieri, MD

"Brain on Fire" by Susannah Cahalan

"The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston

"Panic on Level 4" by Richard Preston

"Trauma" by Dr. James Cole

"Better" by Atul Gawande

"The Male Brain" by Louann Brizendine MD

"The Female Brain" by Louann Brizendine MD

"Last Night in the OR" by Bud Shaw MD

"Stiff" by Mary Roach

"On Call in Hell" by Richard Jadick DO

I have not read every one of these but I do own all of them and fully intend on reading them all.

One of my personal favorites but is not Medicine related: "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein

I'm always looking to add new books to my list so if anyone wants to comment on books or add some please feel free :)

I have done a search of this and there are a ton of threads but I was wondering if people could share their favorite books pertaining to the medical field/medical school. I am looking for more current books but add anything you want! Also if you know some good ones on the current changes in the healthcare system that would be great too.

That's a great list! Here are my favorites:

Nonfiction:
  • Intern: A Doctor's Initiation by Sandeep Jauhar, MD, PhD
  • When the Air Hits Your Brain: Tales of Neurosurgery by Frank T. Vertosick, Jr., MD
  • When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanthi, MD and Abraham Verghese, MBBS (foreword)
  • Everything I Learned in Medical School Besides All the Book Stuff by Sujay Kansagra, MD
  • The Laws of Medicine by Siddhartha Mukherjee, MD
  • Being Mortal by Atul Gawande, MD, MPH
  • Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl, MD
  • Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account by Miklós Nyiszli, MD
  • Gratitude by Oliver Sacks, MD
  • Maximum Insecurity: A Doctor in the Supermax by William Wright, MD
  • Jailhouse Doc: A Doctor in the County Jail by William Wright, MD
Fiction:
  • The House of God by Samuel Shem (Stephen Bergman, MD)
  • Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, MBBS
Also, while not written by a physician and though not explicitly about medicine, Christopher Hitchens' posthumously published memoir Mortality is a poignantly moving account of what it feels like to suffer through metastatic cancer, viewed from the inside out through the lens of one of the finest journalists and authors of the 20th century.

Reactions: 2 users
you bumped another ancient thread with the same exact content in the DO subforum a week ago and made the same exact post :diebanana:

you bumped another ancient thread with the same exact content in the DO subforum a week ago and made the same exact post :diebanana:

1. This post is not, in fact, identical to my previous one.
2. I fail to see how this negatively impacts you or any other user.

Reactions: 1 users
cant tell if serious. Same exact post besides for the "That's a great list! Here are my favorites:" at the top and slightly altered wording.

It doesn't, but why bump multiple ancient threads to post the exact same thing in two subforums? Very odd.

cant tell if serious. Same exact post besides for the "That's a great list! Here are my favorites:" at the top and slightly altered wording.

It doesn't, but why bump multiple ancient threads to post the exact same thing in two subforums? Very odd.

I'm quite serious. Since you appear to have a deep interest in user content present on multiple threads of similar topics, it think it may enhance your understanding of why I elected to re-post this information on this thread (despite the thread's "ancient" nature) if I re-post something I wrote in response to a similarly inane complaint made on the previous thread to which you alluded. It's quite germane to your concern:

"One should consider that the function of these forums is not solely to address the inquiries of OPs, but also to serve as a database of answers/responses to questions that other students will also have in the future. OP asked his/her question [a while] ago, but I only found my way to this post earlier today. Many people will look at older forums to address questions that they have now. Therefore, responses to older threads can be of use to those only now coming to read them."

There is not only one thread on SDN concerning reading recommendations, so it seems entirely reasonable to re-post information which may be useful on multiple threads of a similar vein.

Reactions: 1 user