Pre-Med Statistics of Transfer College? Are they good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plantsandpremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm considering transferring from my Jr. college after my first year. One of the schools I'm looking at has a 65-75% Med School acceptance rate. Is that good or average? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just do well in your courses

Reactions: 1 user
Just another Pre-Med, but I wouldn't read too much into acceptance statistics:

1. Many schools (such as mine) restrict who is included in these statistics by putting restrictions on their committee letter ensuring only competitive applicants can apply. The applicants who do not get a committee letter are often not included in the statistics, thus making them appear more favorable.

2. You do not know where the students are being accepted. Many schools include Caribbean acceptances in these statistics.

My suggestions would be to look at:

1. Strength of the program/quality of the professors in your desired major (sit in on a class, read Rate My Professor Reviews).

2. How you fit into the culture of the school. Will you be happy there?

3. Availability of relevant opportunities (i.e. if you want to do basic science research are there professors doing that research and do they regularly accept undergraduates?).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't read too much into acceptance statistics:

1. Many schools (such as mine) restrict who is included in these statistics by putting restrictions on their committee letter ensuring only competitive applicants can apply. The applicants who do not get a committee letter are often not included in the statistics, thus making them appear more favorable.

2. You do not know where the students are being accepted. Many schools include Caribbean acceptances in these statistics.
I agree. You need to ask more questions, like what are the requirements for getting a committee or advisor LOR. Of those accepted how many go to MD schools, DO schools, and international MD schools (like Caribbean). And how many get an acceptance in their first application cycle.

Hey! I'm considering transferring from my Jr. college after my first year. One of the schools I'm looking at has a 65-75% Med School acceptance rate. Is that good or average? Thanks!

My understanding is the national average is about 45%, so yes, above average.

But I'll echo the rest of the thread: getting interviews and getting into medical school is not random and it is not (really) predicated on chance. Get involved, do well, profit.