pre meds = "goodie goodie"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

musicalMDorDO

Hey. So this is the first thread I started.

Does anyone else here notice that alot of other non premed undergraduates assume that us students working towards medical school are all "goodie tooshoo?" I mean, we cant study and do our EC's all the time.

I'm sure some of us here get drunk or at least tipsy sometimes. I have and a reaction I get (because my friends say, "o yeah, he wants to go to medical school) is like "no way" or something along the lines of that.

Really, am I the only one around here that has fun party style sometimes? I do work hard. I went to a community college for two years and just enrolled summer quarter at a university in my state. I'll be here for three full academic years (maybe an extra summer quarter)-this includes two quarters post bac....i might as well remain in school the whole third year. I still do my EC stuff...i enjoy it too...its volunteering at a home for the elderly and childrens hospital...and I had a part time pharmacy job and perform freelance as a musician whenever i have time.

It just sucks that the sterotypical pre med is a total nerd. Sure we are more studious than others, it has to be that way.

I'm so long into this message right now that I don't know what the point is.....

but i think my overall question is :

why does premed=moral goodness or whatever....or is it just me that sees this?

Members don't see this ad.

The majority of college students are going into fields where GPA doesn't mean squat (ie business), hence they can not understand why premeds are so concerned about grades and GPA's. As far as the whole "moral goodness" thing, I think alot of that has to do with how many premeds portray themselves. Just look at how people get flamed on here for saying they are going into medicine for the money, prestige, or w/e. Many believe medicine is some type of higher calling.

The obsession with our GPAs is probably a major reason for the stereotype. Most people have to work at getting into med school since it means doing well in all your science classes. This means, on average, less partying, drinking, and assorted unsavory college activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
all the premeds i know are drunks.. :)

I'm sure it also depends where you go to school...I know at Florida there doesn't seem to be that stygma (premeds dont drink) at all, though there is the stereotype, especially among teachers, that pre-med students are too obsessed with their grades. Granted, I do go to a party school, so it may be different at others.

Personally, I think 50% of pre-meds are up-tight conservative tools who think they are much smarter than they really are. At the same time, I prefer these types to the ambitionless slackers that call themselves business and poli-sci majors, and could really give a s**t what they think of us. I guess I'm split on the issue :D

I make sure to get drunk every night and bang 2 chicks at once so that people know I am hardc0re

Seriously though, what difference does it make if people think pre-meds don't party and go crazy? Probably better than the assumption that student athletes only party.

Definitely more of the "weenie" type go pre-medical. I think that's also the reason so many kids have stellar stats and don't get the acceptances they were hoping for. IMO this is because so many of them are "socially challenged".

And, by "weenie", I don't mean they don't drink, smoke, hang out, party etc...it has nothing to do with being a party nut or not. Being a "weenie" is all about your communication abilities and your social prowess.

For example...my fiance's little brother is a nice kid. He's prepping for premed right now and I'm harassing him giving him all of this information he probably never would have found on his own and that I wish I would have found earlier in life. I'm explaining to him right now just how important it is to get great grades, etc, etc.

But, I worry that he's going to absolutely bomb his interviews. He can talk my ear off when I talk to him on AIM, but after 4.5 years of knowing him he still doesn't talk much face to face. I think there are lots of kids on here just like him. They can sound like articulate, well-spoken people on the internet, but they probably cannot articulate well or are extremely shy on a personal level.

I've been shocked by how straight-and-narrow the premeds I've met have been, but then, I wasn't a premed myself the first time I went to college.

I don't have a problem with this. I haven't met too many premeds that would make suitable drinking partners for me for a rough-and-tumble bender weekend, but I've met lots I would trust to take out my appendix. This is the way it should be.

Maybe it just depends on the school. At mine it seems like everyone is pre-med, so you get a pretty good variety. I’ve seen quite a few people who seemed to be hung over in class (mid week)….it’s scary when one of them is working next to you in lab. :eek:
You could easily find a drinking buddy here.

BTW- what’s wrong with being a goodie-goodie (not “weenie”)?

musicalMDorDO said:
Hey. So this is the first thread I started.

Does anyone else here notice that alot of other non premed undergraduates assume that us students working towards medical school are all "goodie tooshoo?" I mean, we cant study and do our EC's all the time.

I'm sure some of us here get drunk or at least tipsy sometimes. I have and a reaction I get (because my friends say, "o yeah, he wants to go to medical school) is like "no way" or something along the lines of that.

Really, am I the only one around here that has fun party style sometimes? I do work hard. I went to a community college for two years and just enrolled summer quarter at a university in my state. I'll be here for three full academic years (maybe an extra summer quarter)-this includes two quarters post bac....i might as well remain in school the whole third year. I still do my EC stuff...i enjoy it too...its volunteering at a home for the elderly and childrens hospital...and I had a part time pharmacy job and perform freelance as a musician whenever i have time.

It just sucks that the sterotypical pre med is a total nerd. Sure we are more studious than others, it has to be that way.

I'm so long into this message right now that I don't know what the point is.....

but i think my overall question is :

Nah, being tipsy does not consistutue being a partier. Now if you said "the second time that I woke up naked on the lawn with 5 other people, 2 bottles of tequila, and an empty box of condoms scattered around ...." :thumbup: :D

"the second time that I woke up naked on the lawn with 5 other people, 2 bottles of tequila, and an empty box of condoms scattered around ...."

It was 4 other people, and they were whiskey bottles thank you very much. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that here most aren't goddie goddies. I am however, never really went to a party for longer than like 5 minutes, I've never been drunk or any of that stuff. I wish more premeds fit the stereotype because it's hard to find people in college who don't do that kind of stuff.

jmart said:
I know that here most aren't goddie goddies. I am however, never really went to a party for longer than like 5 minutes, I've never been drunk or any of that stuff. I wish more premeds fit the stereotype because it's hard to find people in college who don't do that kind of stuff.

I can support this message. :thumbup: Nothing wrong with living straight and clean. Nothing wrong with gettin down and out there either. Different strokes for different folks. :horns:

Haemulon said:
I can support this message. :thumbup: Nothing wrong with living straight and clean. Nothing wrong with gettin down and out there either. Different strokes for different folks. :horns:

yes, different strokes for different folks. I have a twin brother, and he is straight edge. :thumbup:

According to my survey 25% of premeds on SDN abstain from sex. I don't like that figure associated with any demographic I am a part of.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
According to my survey 25% of premeds on SDN abstain from sex. I don't like that figure associated with any demographic I am a part of.

I mean... when I had to study, I did. But every opportunity I had to get f***** up and laid, I did as well.

musicalMDorDO said:

There's nothing wrong with partying and drinking - no matter what your major is. Partying is what college was made for, don't worry about it too much! :)

DropkickMurphy said:
It was 4 other people, and they were whiskey bottles thank you very much. :smuggrin:

you were there too?

My motto is work hard, party harder. Yea I study a lot and do all the ECs and such, but sometimes you just gotta blow off some steam and go a lil crazy. I hate it when people come up to me at a party and are like "your drinking? but you're pre-med!!"

tch001 said:
you were there too?

My motto is work hard, party harder. Yea I study a lot and do all the ECs and such, but sometimes you just gotta blow off some steam and go a lil crazy. I hate it when people come up to me at a party and are like "your drinking? but you're pre-med!!"

Where do you find these people? "You are drinking, But you're pre-med" ? I've never heard anyone say anything like that in my life.... unless, and I'm just throwing an idea out here... you are a complete tool that talks about nothing but classes, medicine, and pre-med stuff, and people are mocking you without you even knowing it :idea:

tch001 said:
you were there too?

If you don't want people making obnoxious comments, then don't tell them you're a pre-med.

ADeadLois said:
If you don't want people making obnoxious comments, then don't tell them you're a pre-med.

it's a small school, everyone practically knows everyone's major. it's not that bad, I guess people just expect me to be studying on a friday night, not in a toga ;)

UMP said:
Where do you find these people? "You are drinking, But you're pre-med" ? I've never heard anyone say anything like that in my life.... unless, and I'm just throwing an idea out here... you are a complete tool that talks about nothing but classes, medicine, and pre-med stuff, and people are mocking you without you even knowing it :idea:

yes, i'm obviously i an annoying medicine obsessed tool. whatever, at least people talk to me at parties, which i'm guessing is more than what happens to you?

tch001 said:
yes, i'm obviously i an annoying medicine obsessed tool. whatever, at least people talk to me at parties, which i'm guessing is more than what happens to you?
Well, at least you proved the "tool" part quickly.

tch001 said:

guess whatever makes you feel better, sweetheart. I'm sure you are a blast at the wild parties at McDaniels College.

UMP said:
guess whatever makes you feel better, sweetheart. I'm sure you are a blast at the wild parties at McDaniels College.

You people are vicious.

UMP said:

I'm done with this thread and it's snarky comments, feel free to think whatever you want about me.

I don't do anything illegal. Goodie tooshoes for that? Prolly.
However, I have a daily quota of laughs and smartass remarks I must meet or I'll explode. I'm more reined in during the week than on the weekends. I let my filthy mind run wild on the weekends.
deviliu0.gif

I haven't yet had a complaint of being a bore or being too uptight from any buddies :) I hope to stay that way.

i can't stand 98% of pre-meds so i joined a fraternity...stay away from other pre-meds!

notdeadyet said:
I've been shocked by how straight-and-narrow the premeds I've met have been, but then, I wasn't a premed myself the first time I went to college.

I don't have a problem with this. I haven't met too many premeds that would make suitable drinking partners for me for a rough-and-tumble bender weekend, but I've met lots I would trust to take out my appendix. This is the way it should be.

Hi, I'm Jackie, and I'll be your drinking partner. I have a liver of steel! :thumbup:

I haven't been drunk in like 3 years (due to being constantly pregnant) but the application process compelled me to go to the State Store this week and get some liquor. I stashed in the bottom of my stroller. My husband thinks I'm totally trashy to take two babies into the liquor store. But keep this in mind: he had me go buy him a case of beer when I was 8 months pregnant. Classy :smuggrin:

Line up them shot glass, Jackie. One for each of my rejections...

MiesVanDerMom said:
I haven't been drunk in like 3 years (due to being constantly pregnant) but the application process compelled me to go to the State Store this week and get some liquor. I stashes in the bottom of my stroller. My husband thinks I'm totally trashy to take two babies into the liquor store. But keep this in mind: he had me go buy him a case of beer when I was 8 months pregnant. Classy :smuggrin:

nothing wrong with that, put one in the baby bottles for a family night!

MiesVanDerMom said:
I haven't been drunk in like 3 years (due to being constantly pregnant) but the application process compelled me to go to the State Store this week and get some liquor. I stashed in the bottom of my stroller. My husband thinks I'm totally trashy to take two babies into the liquor store. But keep this in mind: he had me go buy him a case of beer when I was 8 months pregnant. Classy :smuggrin:

Cool. So I'm not the only one who feels like going on a COMPLETE bender?? :smuggrin:

jackieMD2007 said:
Cool. So I'm not the only one who feels like going on a COMPLETE bender?? :smuggrin:

Maybe we could make a SDN drinking game. Every time someone types ___, you drink. Hmm, the possibilities are endless...

MiesVanDerMom said:
Maybe we could make a SDN drinking game. Every time someone types ___, you drink. Hmm, the possibilities are endless...

Phenomenal idea.

My suggestions:

-everytime someone asks about the "educational narrative" question on the BU secondary

-everytime someone writes their MCAT score unneccessarily

-everytime asks if EK 101 Passages in VR is similar to the actual MCAT

ADeadLois said:
Phenomenal idea.

My suggestions:

-everytime someone asks about the "educational narrative" question on the BU secondary

-everytime someone writes their MCAT score unneccessarily

-everytime asks if EK 101 Passages in VR is similar to the actual MCAT

And every time someone see's Dr. Eugenetic sleeping :sleep: , thats 2 shots