Pre meds with big mouths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there, pre meds, just wanted to let you know something interesting that happened to me today. an admissions person asked me, knowing that i am computer savvy, if i knew about student doctor network, because a lot of interviewees were coming and saying that they heard bad things about the school on this site. there are a number of school administrators from various schools who already patrol sdn and even occassionally post, but unless you want to freak all the upperclassmen out and have them stop posting honestly, i would recommend not mentioning the site specifically. a simple "i heard that . . . " would probably suffice, rather than saying "on this website, student doctor network, thread 131 post 12, so and so said that . . . " i encourage you to ask the admissions counselors questions about things that you've heard, but honestly, im not gonna post if i think my dean is checking up on me. i know of one instance at pcsom where a student was actually reprimanded by administration for something they posted (although in that case, the student was actually saying offensive things about people and actually should have been reprimanded). lets not ruin such a wonderful place to vent and complain! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with rasberry that people should be aware that all kinds of people read SDN. But I think its sad that people don't have the guts to just come out and say who they are and what they think with their name attatched to it. Why hide behind the veil of anonimity? What the big secret?

raspberry swirl said:
hey there, pre meds, just wanted to let you know something interesting that happened to me today. an admissions person asked me, knowing that i am computer savvy, if i knew about student doctor network, because a lot of interviewees were coming and saying that they heard bad things about the school on this site. there are a number of school administrators from various schools who already patrol sdn and even occassionally post, but unless you want to freak all the upperclassmen out and have them stop posting honestly, i would recommend not mentioning the site specifically. a simple "i heard that . . . " would probably suffice, rather than saying "on this website, student doctor network, thread 131 post 12, so and so said that . . . " i encourage you to ask the admissions counselors questions about things that you've heard, but honestly, im not gonna post if i think my dean is checking up on me. i know of one instance at pcsom where a student was actually reprimanded by administration for something they posted (although in that case, the student was actually saying offensive things about people and actually should have been reprimanded). lets not ruin such a wonderful place to vent and complain! :rolleyes:

I don't mind people sharing their true opinion. After all, that's what the message board is for. However, I feel that one should not start bashing about a school just because he/she did not complete a course with a C or above or are simply upset due to recent grades. If I was applying for a med school, I truely would like to know what the others are thinking - not just from the administartors view but also from the students view as well. Well, basically, I agree with you raspberry swirl.

Members don't see this ad :)
bth7 said:
I agree with rasberry that people should be aware that all kinds of people read SDN. But I think its sad that people don't have the guts to just come out and say who they are and what they think with their name attatched to it. Why hide behind the veil of anonimity? What the big secret?

I'll say this much. My interviewers all knew I post on SDN and I know they read it (somehow it came up in both interviews). It wouldn't take much rocket science to figure out who I am on SDN based on my application information.

I didn't get in to either school.

More than coincidence? Maybe. But I'm not going to start hiding.

This is a great resource. It also is a biased resource. Some people are happy while others are pissy. It just happens to be a place where people like to air out dirty laundry. My opinion is get an organized effort to effect chance at a school or such. I do believe in letting interviewees have a lot of UNBIASED info so they can make a great decision.

If this includes how policies are handled such as a dress code, attendance, or whatever. It should be known.

In all honesty, SDN is the reason I did not apply to LECOM. Some of the posts on here, as well as the policies of that school, showed me that LECOM was most definitely not the place for me.

If your adcom has a problem with what is posted on SDN about LECOM, maybe they should look in the mirror. Granted, I don't attend LECOM, so I do not have a 1st hand account of what it is like to be a student there, but, speaking as a former applicant (exclusively to DO schools) LECOM came off very, very poorly to me.

I'm sure LECOM provides you with a fantastic education- I'm not questioning the academic rigor. The board pass rates prove that they are effective. What turned me off is the dress code, the food in the lecture halls policy, how arrogant the admissions rep was when she visited my undergrad, and how many current LECOM students I have heard complaining about the family that owns LECOM.

What the big secret? Fear of retribution that is the big secret. For the same reason reporters protect their sources. For the same reason Deep Throat will remain anonymous until his/her death. I still need a Dean's letter in a few years.