Pre-optometry student loaded with Q's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an undergrad majoring in pre-optometry. I currently just finished up my freshman year and am excited to continue the road of schooling:) Anyway, I'm just wondering what I should be doing at this point in time in order to increase my chances of acceptance later on down the road. I would like to shadow at least one doctor this summer, and I was wondering if there is any need to document such an action?

Also, about letters of recommendation... when is best to go about getting those? The year you apply to schools? If you have a course before that where you would really like the prof to write you a letter, how could they possibly send it directly to schools??

And... is it ever to early to start studying for the OATS?:)

Okay, a few more questions... (sorry, I'm loaded)
I hear that shadowing is a must, but work experience is a killer plus. At what point during undergrad can you obtain work experience at a practice? And what type of work would be best for someone in my shoes.

They tell me I can technically go on to OD school after 3 years... and transfer 30 credits after a year of OD school. Has anyone actually done this? I'm assuming it is much harder to get in this way, but how much more difficult, I have no idea.

Finally, I'm just wondering as to how much you reuse the concepts in general chemistry... is it very useful in optometry school? Say, in a biochemistry course?

Thanks a buntch... :) Any comments will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You could always try putting a little extra cash into the application envelope. Bringing a keg of beer when you interview, or buying extra tickets to local or professional sport's team for the interviewers. I'm just joking.

Shadowing is a great idea if you can find a doctor that will you follow them. Personally, I couldn't find anyone, but I still gained acceptance. I've read in other threads that people have run into similiar problems with patient's right to privacy. Shadowing a doctor will never hurt your application, but only further strengthen it.

Letters of Recommendations...yeah I think its a great idea to ask professors that might know you to write a letter of recommendation. Stay after sometime, or make an appointment to visit them to inquire about their field of research. Also, try being a lab student teaching assistant or better yet work in their research lab. The better a professor knows you, the far easier it is for that individual to write a letter for you.

Lol ok I never had any work experience into the field of Optometry either before I applied. BUT...again work experience will only further enhance your application. If you can work for an optometrist for a summer or two. If your in a really big city, I would even suggest working for an ophthalmologist ( to see both sides of the coin), because most require their techs to refract. You might get a little experience with retinoscopy, refraction, and Slit lamp (doing tonometry). I can't guarantee they'll teach how to do it right, but at least you might know have a little experience before your time in clinic.

Most schools require you to a have a degree, and getting in without one is difficult. It can be done, but you better be coming in with excellent grades, OAT's or blow them away on interviews.

I didn't find the OAT to be all that difficult to prepare for. I took the MCAT, and OAT in the same callender year, because I wasn't sure at the time what path to travel. Maybe a month or two before the test you might try to start studying. I thought the hardest section on the OAT was the speed math quantitative analysis (if that's whats called). The OAT was easy, because all the questions are just based on one topic, and there really isn't analysis required. Mostly its just questions of: do you know it or not.

Best of Luck.

For letters of recommendation: I would say ask any science professor who's class you got an A in. They should have good things to say about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not get a letter of rec. from a prof at my university, a little strange, I know. I did research at Des Moines Osteopathic University for about 2 years. The research was for my degree, but it was at a different school. But I ended up using my research advisor b/c he knew me so much better than any prof I had in lecture. The letter I got from him was much more personal than anything I could have received from anyone else.

It was not a problem, nor was it ever brought up during my interview.

rpames said:
I did not get a letter of rec. from a prof at my university, a little strange, I know. I did research at Des Moines Osteopathic University for about 2 years. The research was for my degree, but it was at a different school. But I ended up using my research advisor b/c he knew me so much better than any prof I had in lecture. The letter I got from him was much more personal than anything I could have received from anyone else.

It was not a problem, nor was it ever brought up during my interview.

Some schools require 3 letters though. I applied to ICO, but they told that they didn't want my kind at their school. They didn't really say that but they didn't accept me. One letter of recomendation I sent them was from an ICO alumni too. I'm going to re-apply there this year. I've decided to apply to some pharmacy schools too. I work at a pharmacy part time. I would much rather go to optometry, but pharmacy is a good backup.

I'm still a little unclear about the letters of rec...

I'm assuming I never personally touch it? So what is done with it after I ask a professor if they can wrote me one?

LAH said:

I'm assuming I never personally touch it? So what is done with it after I ask a professor if they can wrote me one?

They should mail them to the school(s) for you.

LAH said:

Most schools will keep a file on you for two years. So, if you're reference letters get there before your application does, it is OK. Look into that with the schools that you are applying to, but it is my understanding that all the opt schools do this.

:)
RLK said:
Some schools require 3 letters though. I applied to ICO, but they told that they didn't want my kind at their school. They didn't really say that but they didn't accept me. One letter of recomendation I sent them was from an ICO alumni too. I'm going to re-apply there this year. I've decided to apply to some pharmacy schools too. I work at a pharmacy part time. I would much rather go to optometry, but pharmacy is a good backup.

I hope you don't mind me asking this, but what do you mean when you said they didn't want your kind at their school? What kind are you? :laugh: :)

seems like ur all ready to hop into optometry school. I would suggest to shadow under an optometrist or ophthalmologist. I think you will find lotsa interesting cases that u never dreamed of.

In terms of getting recommendations, it's best if u get the recommendations right after the course to prevent the professors from leaving the school or forgetting u. Just have them send it to ur health committee or something, they ultimately send it to the optometry schools. If ur school doesn't have one, then if ur applying within 2 years of optometry school, have the prof send it to the school directly. Otherwise wait til u apply for optometry school.

OATs, I studied two months before exam, and hardcore amonth before the exam and I did fine. My English was weak, but my science overall was 340. It depends on how focused u can be.

The 7 year optometry BS program is good if ur very focused and u know what u want. It is a little harder, but once u get into optometry school, every student goes thru the same thing.

QUOTE=LAH]Hi, I'm an undergrad majoring in pre-optometry. I currently just finished up my freshman year and am excited to continue the road of schooling:) Anyway, I'm just wondering what I should be doing at this point in time in order to increase my chances of acceptance later on down the road. I would like to shadow at least one doctor this summer, and I was wondering if there is any need to document such an action?

Also, about letters of recommendation... when is best to go about getting those? The year you apply to schools? If you have a course before that where you would really like the prof to write you a letter, how could they possibly send it directly to schools??

And... is it ever to early to start studying for the OATS?:)

Okay, a few more questions... (sorry, I'm loaded)
I hear that shadowing is a must, but work experience is a killer plus. At what point during undergrad can you obtain work experience at a practice? And what type of work would be best for someone in my shoes.

They tell me I can technically go on to OD school after 3 years... and transfer 30 credits after a year of OD school. Has anyone actually done this? I'm assuming it is much harder to get in this way, but how much more difficult, I have no idea.

Finally, I'm just wondering as to how much you reuse the concepts in general chemistry... is it very useful in optometry school? Say, in a biochemistry course?

Thanks a buntch... :) Any comments will be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

po4life said:
seems like ur all ready to hop into optometry school.

Time flies quickly:), but thanks.