Pre-Pharm Student in NYC area looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HRPharmacistinNYC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a pre-pharm Student. I'm majoring in Biochemistry at Seton Hall and will be graduating in the Spring of 2018. I'm planning on taking the PCAT later. I will be taking a Pharmacy tech course and will be volunteering at a hospital following some pharmacists. I don't have any research yet (so no publications). My GPA is around a 3.0 (I know its low, went to a community college my first year and one bio course screwed me over sophomore year). I wanted to hear back from some people that were accepted to the schools in the NYC area. Schools like Rutgers, St. Johns, LIU Pharm, Temple (philly) etc. I'm primarily looking for Schools in NY/NJ and PA since I don't really want to be too far from home. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you get into a school around NYC you'll most definitely have to relocate far from home to find a job due to the terrible saturation in your area. I would seek an alternative profession that is in demand especially in your area, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, etc. and does not require you to graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school.

Later
Even if you get into a school around NYC you'll most definitely have to relocate far from home to find a job due to the terrible saturation in your area. I would seek an alternative profession that is in demand especially in your area, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, etc. and does not require you to graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school.
That makes no sense I would have to go back to school for the jobs you mentioned anyway. I'm a biochemistry major and there are many Pharmacy schools here. Why have to relocate far from NYC there are many people that have had residency programs even in New Jersey.

Members don't see this ad :)
Later

That makes no sense I would have to go back to school for the jobs you mentioned anyway. I'm a biochemistry major and there are many Pharmacy schools here. Why have to relocate far from NYC there are many people that have had residency programs even in New Jersey.
NYC is one of the most saturated areas of the country and that is precisely because there are too many pharmacy schools in the area. You can expect to graduate from pharmacy school with $200k+ in loans. Other professions, especially finance and software engineering, are much cheaper to get into and are in demand.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Then the finance and software engineering thread is the thread you should be posting on brother @stoichiometrist

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
NYC is one of the most saturated areas of the country and that is precisely because there are too many pharmacy schools in the area. You can expect to graduate from pharmacy school with $200k+ in loans. Other professions, especially finance and software engineering, are much cheaper to get into and are in demand.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile
Wow! Do you see competition in every single student here and in every single state lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user