This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prepharm21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Ok so I am going to be starting college in the winter semster instead of the fall semester. I understand I will be behind and my chem classes I will not be able to start taking until next year and I will need to take a prereq for gen chem which will put my even more behind and then next winter I will be able to start gen chem 1. My question is will it be bad if I take gen chem1 in winter instead and then gen chem 2 the fall after that or should i take it in the summer? Should I take my classes as a sequence? Like chem 1 in fall and chem 2 in winter? This will also happen to me with org 1 and 2 should I take org 1 in a fall semster and org 2 in a winter semester and not take org 1 in winter and then org 2 the next fall? I appreciate all the help I can get please I am really nervous about how I maybe setting up my schedule!

Members don't see this ad.

What's your background - have you taken college courses before, or is this your first time? Will you be taking a full course load, or going part time?

I'm also curious, what pre-req are they requiring for G-Chem? Did you not take chemistry in HS?

To answer your question: since you missed the fall semester, I don't think there's any drawback to taking G-Chem 1 in the winter/spring (are you on quarters?) and then taking G-Chem 2 next fall. You won't lose everything you learned in G-Chem 1 that quick, new concepts will be introduced in G-Chem 2, and the professor will likely get you up to speed anyway.

I would also highly recommend taking a course or 2 in the summer term. It keeps your brain sharp, and lightens your load a bit during the fall and spring semesters. This is how I knocked out Physics 1 & 2 (with A's) as an undergrad.

Hope this helps!!

What's your background - have you taken college courses before, or is this your first time? Will you be taking a full course load, or going part time?

I'm also curious, what pre-req are they requiring for G-Chem? Did you not take chemistry in HS?

To answer your question: since you missed the fall semester, I don't think there's any drawback to taking G-Chem 1 in the winter/spring (are you on quarters?) and then taking G-Chem 2 next fall. You won't lose everything you learned in G-Chem 1 that quick, new concepts will be introduced in G-Chem 2, and the professor will likely get you up to speed anyway.

I would also highly recommend taking a course or 2 in the summer term. It keeps your brain sharp, and lightens your load a bit during the fall and spring semesters. This is how I knocked out Physics 1 & 2 (with A's) as an undergrad.

Hope this helps!!
This is my first time taking courses, I didn't feel ready to start in the fall I was really nervous and insecure and dropped everything because I kept changing my schedule and fell behind which i now regret. This winter I want to take a full course load. I am placed in the lowest math course beginning algebra, I plan on taking intermediate algebra over the summer and take precalc next fall to allow me to take chemistry. The chemistry course I would be taking is a prereq to gen chem 1, my college makes everyone take this prereq because alot is covered in the gen chem courses at my college. I am not sure if I should take gen chem 1 and 2 next year with organic or keep organic the third year. Basically is it better for my to take the organic chem classes as a sequence one in fall one in winter? Is that usually what students do? Thank you so much for any info you can provide!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my first time taking courses, I didn't feel ready to start in the fall I was really nervous and insecure and dropped everything because I kept changing my schedule and fell behind which i now regret. This winter I want to take a full course load. I am placed in the lowest math course beginning algebra, I plan on taking intermediate algebra over the summer and take precalc next fall to allow me to take chemistry. The chemistry course I would be taking is a prereq to gen chem 1, my college makes everyone take this prereq because alot is covered in the gen chem courses at my college. I am not sure if I should take gen chem 1 and 2 next year with organic or keep organic the third year. Basically is it better for my to take the organic chem classes as a sequence one in fall one in winter? Is that usually what students do? Thank you so much for any info you can provide!!
Also my course in the summer are not a month long they are 3 month long usually the maths and science course if I take 3 would that be ok? They are not rushed so I feel they would not be too bad but I am still curious. They would go from may until the beginning of august.

It's hard to say how many courses you should take. The obvious answer is: as many as you can handle. Based on some information you provided, I would advise you to start light. As you show you can handle the course work, increase the load accordingly. But the pre-req math courses need to be knocked out ASAP, so you can start taking the REAL courses.

In the meantime, knock out as much Biology coursework as you can. They shouldn't have the same math requirements?

It's strange that your college is requiring so much extra preliminary coursework, just to take freshman level courses. Were your SAT scores low or something? What was your HS GPA? If this is just the way this college does it, have you looked at other schools in your area? Maybe another school would let you bypass some of these pre-pre-reqs?

I didn't take the sat just the act and my score was average but I needed one more point to bypass a intro bio course, I can take the placement exam and pass it and start taking the required bio class next semester. I think I might just study a bio book and do that. I did take the math placement exam I didn't get a passing score on it however they allowed me to go into the intermediate math course by combining my act math score and the score I got into the placement exam but I am not sure if I am ready for it. I feel so intimated by college as if I will never be good for anything but pharmacy is all I want to do and I don't know if I will be good enough

I didn't take the sat just the act and my score was average but I needed one more point to bypass a intro bio course, I can take the placement exam and pass it and start taking the required bio class next semester. I think I might just study a bio book and do that. I did take the math placement exam I didn't get a passing score on it however they allowed me to go into the intermediate math course by combining my act math score and the score I got into the placement exam but I am not sure if I am ready for it. I feel so intimated by college as if I will never be good for anything but pharmacy is all I want to do and I don't know if I will be good enough
I did very well in high school my gpa was always between a 3.6-4.0 but my act score was not as high as I wanted it to be which caused me to be placed in intro course. I did take chem in high school as well and did well in it.