Pre-phone interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliAud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a phone interview with one of the professors at Washington University at St.Louis tomorrow, and I'd appreciate any opinion/advice, etc.

Apparently no decision has been made, but they highly encourage either a campus visit or a phone interview before the app deadline 2/15. Has any one of you done this yet? What are they looking for and what should I be expecting? Just a little nervous I guess. :p

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is likely a 'screening process' more or less. Just speak with confidence and show that you are truly interested in the field. Talking about issues in audiology will show initiative, and that you have taken the time to thoroughly learn about the field outside of the classroom. I have been told by one of my professors that they like students who are clearly want to be in the field as opposed to those who simply wanted to make the jump away from speech.

I see.. Thanks for the info and suggestion, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely creep that program's website with diligence and make notes about what you like about the dept, curriculum etc. for the interview. Don't come off as a sycophant, but I think for the dept. it would set you apart as someone who wanted to become an AuD through the Wash. U program vs. just become an AuD.

Hey CaliAud! I actually did the campus visit at WUSTL back in July of 2010. Great school and the hospital there was a really great place to visit and see their audiology facility. The notion I got was that the school was really big on research. I remember going on the tour of the research area and there were all these computers and students doing independent research and there was also a lot of posters hanging to show the students' work.

Let me know how the interview goes! I'm eager to know!

All the best!

Last edited:
it would set you apart as someone who wanted to become an AuD through the Wash. U program vs. just become an AuD.

For sure. Super.

@HearMeOut: Your comment was actually very insightful. I'll keep you posted, thanks!