Pre-Req Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemolaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to be successful in Organic Chemistry? I want to shoot for an A.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion organic chemistry is all about trends. If you understand the trend you'll understand so much. If you can focus on the trends of nucleophiles, electrophiles, bases, acids, etc...you'll be able to understand the mechanisms and what is happening in a reaction. So I would focus on learning the trends and the exceptions as well. O-chem is mostly visual but if you can understand the basic trends you should be successful.

You may want to think about finding a tutor if you are struggling or want to stay ahead of the class. Another option is looking up chad's videos because he is the O-Chem king. Best of luck!

Make Orgo your pretend gf/bf. Spend all your time with it. Nourish it. Love it.... <- that's the advice the kid who set our curve gave...needless to say he does not have a real gf. But he did get the highest A so yeah...

Members don't see this ad :)
I invested on "organic chemistry as a 2nd language." the books amazing and in combination with paying attention in class = good grade at the end. Just picture how the electrons move and react, given a scenario - that's mostly what I did. Gl with it.

In my opinion organic chemistry is all about trends. If you understand the trend you'll understand so much. If you can focus on the trends of nucleophiles, electrophiles, bases, acids, etc...you'll be able to understand the mechanisms and what is happening in a reaction. So I would focus on learning the trends and the exceptions as well. O-chem is mostly visual but if you can understand the basic trends you should be successful.

You may want to think about finding a tutor if you are struggling or want to stay ahead of the class. Another option is looking up chad's videos because he is the O-Chem king. Best of luck!

Could not agree more. Study your notes each day after lecture. It isn't about memorizing mechanisms and being able to spit them back out on a test. You have to know how to apply why mechanisms happen and why things are pushed to apply to a question or reactants you might not be familiar with.