Pre-Req Courses (Honors Program is making it hard to fit all courses)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlaskWroclaw18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting as a freshman as a private Jesuit university this fall and fortunatley for me, with my h.s gpa and SAT scores, I qualified for an Honors Program which has a curriculum that focuses on philosophy and theology (If I finish this program successfully I get a double major in Philosophy). Basically its 6-9 credits of philiosophy/theology courses a semester along with the courses I am required for my major, Biology. In my college's catalog, they list curriculums for all majors basically outlining what courses what you need to take in what year/semester. Here is what our biology curriculum looks like (*means courses required by honors program):

1st Year:
General Biology I & II-4.5 Credits
General Chemistry I & II-4.5
*9 Credits of Philosophy/Theology Courses

2nd Year:
Orgo Chem I & II-4.5 Credits
Bio Electives- 4.5
Calc I & II-4 each
*6 Credits of Philosophy/Theology Courses

3rd Year:
Bio Electives-4 Credits
General Physics I & II- 4 Credits

This means I take physics in the third year, though it is said that you should take all pre-reqs by the end of your sophomore year in order to be ready to take the MCATs in your junior year. I dont want to give up on this honors program but it leaves me no room to move classes around. Is it still possible to take the MCATS junior year if I am still enrolled in physics? Would a MCAT review course in the summer after my sophomore year still be possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting as a freshman as a private Jesuit university this fall and fortunatley for me, with my h.s gpa and SAT scores, I qualified for an Honors Program which has a curriculum that focuses on philosophy and theology (If I finish this program successfully I get a double major in Philosophy). Basically its 6-9 credits of philiosophy/theology courses a semester along with the courses I am required for my major, Biology. In my college's catalog, they list curriculums for all majors basically outlining what courses what you need to take in what year/semester. Here is what our biology curriculum looks like (*means courses required by honors program):

1st Year:
General Biology I & II-4.5 Credits
General Chemistry I & II-4.5

2nd Year:
Orgo Chem I & II-4.5 Credits
Bio Electives- 4.5
Calc I & II-4 each
*6 Credits of Philosophy/Theology Courses

3rd Year:
Bio Electives-4 Credits
General Physics I & II- 4 Credits

This means I take physics in the third year, though it is said that you should take all pre-reqs by the end of your sophomore year in order to be ready to take the MCATs in your junior year. I dont want to give up on this honors program but it leaves me no room to move classes around. Is it still possible to take the MCATS junior year if I am still enrolled in physics? Would a MCAT review course in the summer after my sophomore year still be possible?

Not necessarily. There are many pre-med students who won't finish their science courses until junior year (myself, included). You'll have time to take the MCAT after junior year. Also, if you are that concerned, why not consider summer school to get ahead?

Maybe someone with more experience can give you better advice (I just finished my first year of college, so I'm not that much ahead of you :laugh:)

Congrats on the honor program, by the way!!! :)

Last edited:
Are you planning to enter med school right after college?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah don't feel pressured to get them all finished in your first 2 years. I haven't finished all of mine yet but I will have them done in Junior year. Not a big deal. You have time to do MCATs after junior year.

BTW, yes, I'm going to medical school right after college.

You should take it a year before you anticipate starting medical school.

Example: If you want to go to medical school start in August '12, then you should take the MCAT by Aug '11.

I want to take mine next summer. I'm doing research this summer.

You should take it a year before you anticipate starting medical school.

Example: If you want to go to medical school start in August '12, then you should take the MCAT by Aug '11.

I want to take mine next summer. I'm doing research this summer.
:thumbup:

OP, I respect the fact that you are thinking ahead but it's WAY too soon to worry about MCATs now. Just enjoy summer between HS and college because you will have a lot of busy ones in the future, trust me.

Don't worry I am enjoying my summer. :D Grad parties, beaches, vacations, road trips galore.;) The reason why I am hyped up on this is because Orientation is soon and I need to finalize my schedule. I just like to plan ahead so there are minimal surprises.

And thanks for the congrats.:)

Don't worry I am enjoying my summer. :D Grad parties, beaches, vacations, road trips galore.;) The reason why I am hyped up on this is because Orientation is soon and I need to finalize my schedule. I just like to plan ahead so there are minimal surprises.

And thanks for the congrats.:)

Well, good! At first, I thought you were a future gunner :laugh:. I understand your anticipation! Orientation/freshman year will be a blast!! It was for me.

Your welcome. Good luck!! :luck:

as someone finishing up their degree, i have a slightly different perspective. now you might have just caught me at a cynical time, because i've had several frustrating appointments with my honors advisor in the past two weeks trying to nail down my final curriculum schedule.

i'm slightly disillusioned atm with how honors really makes a difference in the grand scheme of things.

two things to keep in mind:
gpa > honors
reaching personal goals/dream career > not reaching personal goals/dream career

prioritize... don't sacrifice your gpa/mcat. if those are subjects you are genuinely interested and are not doing it just for honors, you can a. schedule fewer hours of the honors courses to start out with or b. pursue these subjects extracurricularly on your own time (e.g. reading, discussion groups, conferences, etc -- allows for flexibility, can still be included in the activities section of the amcas, just not necessarily accredited from your university)

From what I hear, the workload from the philosophy courses in this program is not too bad, and I am actually interested in philosophy and from what I hear, the classes are pretty eye-opening and the professors are amazing. So a double major in philosophy would be pretty good (and I will admit, a nice plus when application season comes around.) So it is not the workload I am worried about, it is just where I will be able to fit in the classes I need to take.

From what I hear, the workload from the philosophy courses in this program is not too bad, and I am actually interested in philosophy and from what I hear, the classes are pretty eye-opening and the professors are amazing. So a double major in philosophy would be pretty good (and I will admit, a nice plus when application season comes around.) So it is not the workload I am worried about, it is just where I will be able to fit in the classes I need to take.

my mistake, i misspoke. i also meant workload. if you're are taking all those classes, you have to be in class for that many more hours each week. labs take up a large chunk of time. although the classes are relatively easy, it takes away valuable time from studying for your more challenging courses (as they tend to get more and more challenging). since we are looking into the future, you will also have to add studying for the mcat into your "courseload." don't forget research, service, shadowing, hobbies, friends, eating, sleeping (jk on those last two... or not).

its doable. i'm not saying don't do what you enjoy. if it's important to you, you'll make it happen. having a double major and like is the icing on the cake - i speak from experience. but what happens when you are in your fourth semester and a required honors class conflicts with ochem? what are the consequences? all i'm saying is make sure you step back at the beginning and end of every semester to re-evaluate where you are and on what track you are.

i guess besides stating your worry, i'm not sure if you are actually asking a question :confused: make a plan/map out your courses and follow it. any bridges that you are worrying about now, you'll just cross them when you get to 'em.

Is it still possible to take the MCATS junior year if I am still enrolled in physics? Would a MCAT review course in the summer after my sophomore year still be possible?

technically, yes & yes. advisable? unknown. wise? unknown. those two you have to answer for yourself. you will have less exposure to possible mcat topics at that point in time.

My question was will I be able to take the MCAT junior year if I am still taking a pre-req course (this case physics). I kind of went into detail of my situation and my course schedule. But I am open to input on honor programs lol.

My question was will I be able to take the MCAT junior year if I am still taking a pre-req course (this case physics). I kind of went into detail of my situation and my course schedule. But I am open to input on honor programs lol.

i did not realize mcat was mutually exclusive. if it was then the details you felt compelled to provide would be irrelevant. yes, you can take the mcat junior year. you must if you plan on applying that year. aamc does not preclude you from registering because you don't have those prereqs. (you dont need all of your prereqs done by application, just by matriculation.) you may, however, be at a perceived significant disadvantage compared to other students who have had the additional exposure to physics/prereqs. so to make up for it, you would have to study extra in preparation --> heavier workload.

you can do anything you want to in order to fit a timeline.

also, these days nontraditional students are becoming more and more valuable. looking back, i wouldn't have been opposed to doing my program of study (and get a perfect 4.0) and extracurriculars, then take an extra year s/p graduation to continue extracurriculars and study for the mcat before applying. more experience, better statistics, less exhaustion, more life = better applicant

Well, good! At first, I thought you were a future gunner :laugh:. I understand your anticipation! Orientation/freshman year will be a blast!! It was for me.

Your welcome. Good luck!! :luck:
Well I am glad. :laugh: I just hope I won't becomeone of "those" pre-meds. :xf:

Yeah you'll be fine. Don't worry.

I think it would be good for you to just take what you can, when you can, and DON'T RUSH. it's important to get the good grades and actually learn the stuff, not cram or rush.

Enjoy orientation.