Pre-Req GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayomi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Hope there applications are going well. Just wondering about everyone's experiences with admissions Pre-req GPA calculations vs. PTCAS GPA calculations. When there are multiple courses a school will take for a requisite course, which do they usually use? For example "Chemistry I" with acceptable courses of "Chemistry I, Chemistry II, Organic, Inorganic, Biochemistry" If you took say Chemistry I,II and Organic I, and II do they pick your best grades from the 4 or do they just use "General Chemistry I/II"

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that they would take the highest grade or the highest level of course(which doesn't always equate to difficulty). It could also be that they prefer the general courses as cover the general knowledge necessary for PT school. Anyone else care to elaborate?

I would imagine that they would take the highest grade or the highest level of course(which doesn't always equate to difficulty). It could also be that they prefer the general courses as cover the general knowledge necessary for PT school. Anyone else care to elaborate?

I would agree. I asked this question to one of the schools I applied to. I did better in Organic Chemistry than I did in General, and I was curious what grades they would consider. I was told they take General Chemistry as the grade for the pre-reqs. Kind of a bummer, but oh well. I'm sure there are some schools that might consider your higher scores for the calculation, like you had mentioned. Anyone else have any experiences with this?

Last edited:
I took stats in undergrad and got a B in it, but then I took biostats in graduate school and got an A. Some of the programs took the higher of the 2 grades while 1 school averaged the 2 and some of the schools just took the regular stats class. It really depends on the school. But in my opinion if you received an A in orgo and a B in gen chem they should take the A in orgo since it is a higher level class thus showing you did better in a harder class.

Reactions: 1 user