Pre-Req's (Community College vs University)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the pre-req. courses. I currently have my B.S. degree in management and I have decided to try to go to Optometry school, but I still lack the necessary course requirements (Biology, Chemisty, Physics...). I was wondering if the Optometry schools discriminate between Community College and Universtiy courses.

Example: I am thinking about taking Biology 1 and 2 this summer at the community college, but its only a 1000 level course.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Optometry schools require that the pre-requisites be equivalent to a course at a 4-year university. This means that not just any community college course will transfer over.

Different schools use a different numbering system so I do not know what a 1000 course is at your school.

However, I know for california students you use assist.org to see what courses are equivalent for example from a community college to UC Berekley or UCLA. If you arent from Califronia I'm sure someone in admissions at your community college can help you see if the credits from that course will count toward a 4-year university.

It sounds like you are in the same situation I was just in. I graduated in 2005 with an EE degree and decided that I wanted to be an optometrist instead. Therefore, I had to go back and take quite a few of my prerequisites (A&P, microbiology, general chemistry 2, organic chemistry and psychology; luckily I already had enough physics and math). I am still finishing up the last of my prerequisites this semester and I was just accepted to Pacific last month. The fact that I have been working full time has given me no option but to take these classes at a CC. When I talked with the admissions rep, I was told that it was ok to take these courses at a CC, however it would not look as good as if I took them from a university. I guess what I am getting at is that it can definitely be done. Some schools might not look as highly upon it, but at the same time you have already proven that you can handle the workload and material at the university level. As mentioned in a previous post, you will definitely need to make sure that the classes offered at the CC teach the same information as you would find in a university course. Even though I was told that it might not look so good, nothing of the sort ever came up in my interview. Just make sure that you do well in those classes; nothing but A's and B's (hopefully just A's). Also, if you perform well on the OAT, then it will be obvious that you have been exposed to and retained the same material that everyone else has, including those who took all of their courses at a university. Obviously it would be better to take those courses at a university, but if that is not an option, then I wouldn't hesitate to take them at a CC. Just make sure to do well in those courses and do well on the OAT and you will have nothing to worry about. Good luck!

Thanks for your help guys. I recently called NOVA and the admissions officer gave me the same information that you all have shared with me.