Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatttF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it varies from school to school but generally what is required in terms of English? I'm almost positive what I will for everything else will be sufficient but I'm curious about English. I'm required to take English 150 and 250 for my major. I passed out of 150 because of one of my ACT sub-scores and I took 250 and passed with an A but is there anything else English-related I need to take?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen, English requirements are widely variable. Some schools don't require any but view writing courses favorably while others require 1-2 semesters of English. Some schools only look for 2 semesters of "intensive writing courses." I'd bet that with those two English courses, you'd meet the English prerequisites at almost all medical schools.

Reactions: 1 user
And the fact that I tested out of it should mean that I would satisfy the two semester English requirements for most schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
My schedule is already pretty plumb-full, how strongly would you consider doing that?
It depends. How far along are you in college and when do you plan on applying? If your schedule is already loaded then it would be wise to contact the schools that you are interested in.

I'm a sophomore right now but I have my entire degree program already planned out in a spreadsheet so I know what classes I'm taking each semester. It would be a stretch to fit it in.

Have you at least looked at the websites of some med schools? You might be fine, but it's better to make sure. Also, things don't always go as planned in terms of projected application dates. You goal is to put out the strongest app possible. Obviously, don't take on unnecessary tasks, but it's not prudent to set unnecessary time constraints.

I've looked at quite a few actually, almost all of them said two semesters of English were the prerequisite. The only difference I found among them was that some of them required one of them to be centered around writing (which is exactly what English 250 was in addition to public speaking). I e-mailed a couple stating specifically what I asked here, I was just curious if anyone here knew off-hand

Writing-intensive courses: WCMC requires two semesters of writing-intensive courses, one in the humanities or social sciences (e.g., history, philosophy, anthropology), and one focusing on English-language literature.

Advanced Placement credit. AP credit from high school can be used to satisfy the WCMC requirement in physics. AP credit in other areas cannot be used to satisfy the WCMC requirement. If a student has AP credit in an area other than physics, the student fulfills the WCMC requirement by completing advanced science coursework.

http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html
Just an example.

I've looked at quite a few actually, almost all of them said two semesters of English were the prerequisite. The only difference I found among them was that some of them required one of them to be centered around writing (which is exactly what English 250 was in addition to public speaking). I e-mailed a couple stating specifically what I asked here, I was just curious if anyone here knew off-hand
Wait, so worst case, you'll only have to take 1 humanities course. That's not so bad.

I'm a sophomore right now but I have my entire degree program already planned out in a spreadsheet so I know what classes I'm taking each semester. It would be a stretch to fit it in.

You'll learn pretty soon that your four year plan will change frequently as college progresses. The point of having one is to have a direct path to graduation, but it should also be flexible in case of emergency situations, like this.

Reactions: 1 user