Pre reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elopez216

Reaction score
I have been confused over these since I been getting different answers. My pre med mentor advised me to “knock out all my pre reqs at a community college “ & then take my degree classes at a university. But I been reading that it’s medical schools look down upon classes taken at cc ??

Members don't see this ad.

I have been confused over these since I been getting different answers. My pre med mentor advised me to “knock out all my pre reqs at a community college “ & then take my degree classes at a university. But I been reading that it’s medical schools look down upon classes taken at cc ??
so, this is one of those advices that can be ok, or go wrong.
Let me explain.
Scenario 1: you are trying to save money and start of in community college. You do knock out almost all the prereqs in community college (i would still recommend to take Organic Chemistry and Biochem in university). You get very good GPA, Then you transfer to a university to a science major (chemistry, engineering, or biology). You end up taking a lot of advanced science classes in biology and chemistry because of it. your GPA maybe drops a bit, but you keep it up above 3.5 (or, 3.7 even better). in this scenario you will be ok. No one will care if you took basic biology in community college BECAUSE YOU HAVE UPPER LEVEL TOUGH CLASSES in university. (I did it this way, and trust me, they really dont care).

Scenario 2: you take prereqs in community college, get good GPA, but transferr into a non science major: this is bad. Community college classes are easy compared to university (i took both, so trust me). When the AdCom sees your transcripts, they wont be convinced that you can handle tough science courses on university level... and you HAVE to show them that, because medical school is even tougher. If you cannot handle university science courses, how can they know that you can handle medical school?

Reactions: 1 user
regardless though, it is definitely better to take everything at university level, but i understand that it might not be possible due to financial limitations. Also, DONT TAKE ONLINE PREREQS. (covid exception is different possibly). Some schools dont care if you took math or english or psychology online, but some wont even accept it. I had to take physics online because i was in the army, stationed in the middle of nowhere in Germany, and i had to take physics 3 because of it to prove that i am not an idiot. :))) (i might still be though, judging by how medical school is going . hahha)

Reactions: 1 user
so, this is one of those advices that can be ok, or go wrong.
Let me explain.
Scenario 1: you are trying to save money and start of in community college. You do knock out almost all the prereqs in community college (i would still recommend to take Organic Chemistry and Biochem in university). You get very good GPA, Then you transfer to a university to a science major (chemistry, engineering, or biology). You end up taking a lot of advanced science classes in biology and chemistry because of it. your GPA maybe drops a bit, but you keep it up above 3.5 (or, 3.7 even better). in this scenario you will be ok. No one will care if you took basic biology in community college BECAUSE YOU HAVE UPPER LEVEL TOUGH CLASSES in university. (I did it this way, and trust me, they really dont care).

Scenario 2: you take prereqs in community college, get good GPA, but transferr into a non science major: this is bad. Community college classes are easy compared to university (i took both, so trust me). When the AdCom sees your transcripts, they wont be convinced that you can handle tough science courses on university level... and you HAVE to show them that, because medical school is even tougher. If you cannot handle university science courses, how can they know that you can handle medical school?

Would psychology be considered a science major ??