pre-requisite completion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joefosho315

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it preferrable that a student have completed all the required pre-requisite coursework by the time he or she applies? If not completing all of the coursework, is it preferred that at least most of it is covered? I ask because the only pre-requisites I have left to fulfill are Biochem and Microbio, at least for Univ of Washington dental. Though I will not be able to take both Biochem and Microbio this semester, I have the opportunity to take one of them. However, doing so will put me at a great inconvenience, as the class timing conflicts with many other important classes that I have as well (particularly philosophy courses, as I am a philosophy major). Currently, I am planning to take Human Physiology II and Cellular Biology, since they fit perfectly into my schedule. My only concern is that if I don't take Microbio and Biochem, I will be leaving 2 of the pre-requisites unfulfilled for application time. I know that it is not required to have all of the pre-requisites done by the application time, but I am more interested in if it will put me at any disadvantage. Another thing to add is that having already taken Physio I, I know the class and professor pretty well, and am confident that I can pull another A in that class. As for microbio, I've heard some not great things on my campus. So I guess the maintenance of a high GPA is a factor, too. So can someone enlighten me?:oops: Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody can tell you for sure if it will hurt you except for the ADCOMs but I didn't take physics before applying and have gotten in almost everywhere I interviewed.

You don't need them completed by the time you apply, but make sure you put them in your planned coursework section. I'm guessing they will want them to be completed by the end of June before starting d-school. I hope you're a Washington resident or from a WICHE state b/c I'm neither and I haven't heard from them at all. They don't even want to take my money!

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need them completed by the time you apply, but make sure you put them in your planned coursework section. I'm guessing they will want them to be completed by the end of June before starting d-school. I hope you're a Washington resident or from a WICHE state b/c I'm neither and I haven't heard from them at all. They don't even want to take my money!

Luckily, I am a Washington resident! But I go to Tufts in Boston. :p

Wait..Isn't microbio and biochem are just recommended? I'm not a science major, but I know it's better to take them, but I just want to make sure they are NOT required....or are they? Is there any classes you guys think are helpful too?

biochem is required at certain schools. I haven't seen a microbio requirement yet but perhaps University of Washington has one...i don't know I didn't apply there.

Wait..Isn't microbio and biochem are just recommended? I'm not a science major, but I know it's better to take them, but I just want to make sure they are NOT required....or are they? Is there any classes you guys think are helpful too?

The biochem prerequisite was recently discussed in this thread. Enjoy ... :thumbup:

The only school that I've seen microbio required for is the University of Washington Dental School. For all other schools, biochem is usually just recommended, or required. But anybody else have input? Currently, I'm leaning towards taking microbio after my apps are in. :p