Pre-Vet Club

Started by Herbivore
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Herbivore

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. 🙂

The university I just transferred to doesn't currently have a pre-vet club so I'm making it my job to change that. I sent an email to the student body asking if anyone would be interested in joining if I went through the work to put together an organization for pre-vet students. I've gotten interest from six people so far, seven including myself, the minimum for starting a club is five. So far so good! It's a pretty small school so I wasn't sure that there would be enough people in the program with a concentration in pre-vet to make a club work... but with that much response from just one email it looks promising. We get a flood of emails every day, and I know a lot of people don't check their email constantly, so there's probably more people who would be interested that didn't see the email.

I guess I'm making this thread in hopes that you guys can help me out with ideas once I get this club going. What do you do at your schools pre-vet clubs? Has anyone else founded a pre-vet club at their school? Cool club experiences? Thoughts, suggestions, comments, warnings, etc? I've been in a lot of clubs and organizations but I've never run one before. The closest I got was in high school when I was on an executive committee for a club... but it was mostly run by the advisor.

Thanks in advance!
 
Hey there! I'm in the same boat as you with going to a school without a pre-vet club. I also took up the cause and founded one last semester. Activity-wise, my personal goal (that I wrote into the club constitution, LOL) is to facilitate at least one service opportunity and one veterinary-related lecture per semester. Last semester we did a volunteer day at an equine humane society and also attended a demonstration on equine acupuncture. This year we'll probably do a few service days at local humane societies or wildlife rescues, attend the monthly lectures sponsored by a large equine hospital nearby, and go to the seminar that the contract-state vet school puts on annually at a neighboring university.
At a school with very few pre-vets (I'm the only one in the class of 2010), I really wanted to give us a place to unite and to gain some recognition among the faculty and the student body. Also, I want to help the faculty stay up-to-date regarding advising students about coursework and necessary experience (my school has a whole slew of pre-medders, and lots of new pre-vet students labor under the misapprehension that vet school is like med school and only wants a few hundred hours of clinical experience to demonstrate interest in the field).
Good luck with your club! I too would love to hear ideas about cool activities and club ideas.
 
I've been thinking about starting up a pre-vet club at my school, but I'm apprehensive because of my very limited amount of free time. We do have a biology club, but unfortunately the meetings are on tuesdays, and I work every single tuesday.

If I were actually able to get a club going, I'd like to do fundraisers every now and then for local shelters. People could donate all kinds of things: litter pans, food, food bowls, towels, leashes, medications, etc...
For every item donated, the person could have an entry to a raffle for something silly like "we'll (the pre-vet club) clean your whole house" or "thoroughly wash and detail your car"
 
I am in the middle of trying to start one at our school. I have put signs almost everywhere around the school, but I swear it is like every science student here is for pre-med.

I really want to start one because when I finally figured out this is what I wanted to do with my life there was no one to talk to. We did have a pre-vet adviser, but I found out that she didnt work at the school any more. And the only information on it was the pre-reqs for CSU.

Now that I have become more informed about the whole process I want to help the people who might not even know where to start. But once again I still have yet to find any pre-vet students 🙁.

Oh and I forgot to say good luck!!!!🙂