Pre-Vet Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herbivore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. :)

The university I just transferred to doesn't currently have a pre-vet club so I'm making it my job to change that. I sent an email to the student body asking if anyone would be interested in joining if I went through the work to put together an organization for pre-vet students. I've gotten interest from six people so far, seven including myself, the minimum for starting a club is five. So far so good! It's a pretty small school so I wasn't sure that there would be enough people in the program with a concentration in pre-vet to make a club work... but with that much response from just one email it looks promising. We get a flood of emails every day, and I know a lot of people don't check their email constantly, so there's probably more people who would be interested that didn't see the email.

I guess I'm making this thread in hopes that you guys can help me out with ideas once I get this club going. What do you do at your schools pre-vet clubs? Has anyone else founded a pre-vet club at their school? Cool club experiences? Thoughts, suggestions, comments, warnings, etc? I've been in a lot of clubs and organizations but I've never run one before. The closest I got was in high school when I was on an executive committee for a club... but it was mostly run by the advisor.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I'm in the same boat as you with going to a school without a pre-vet club. I also took up the cause and founded one last semester. Activity-wise, my personal goal (that I wrote into the club constitution, LOL) is to facilitate at least one service opportunity and one veterinary-related lecture per semester. Last semester we did a volunteer day at an equine humane society and also attended a demonstration on equine acupuncture. This year we'll probably do a few service days at local humane societies or wildlife rescues, attend the monthly lectures sponsored by a large equine hospital nearby, and go to the seminar that the contract-state vet school puts on annually at a neighboring university.
At a school with very few pre-vets (I'm the only one in the class of 2010), I really wanted to give us a place to unite and to gain some recognition among the faculty and the student body. Also, I want to help the faculty stay up-to-date regarding advising students about coursework and necessary experience (my school has a whole slew of pre-medders, and lots of new pre-vet students labor under the misapprehension that vet school is like med school and only wants a few hundred hours of clinical experience to demonstrate interest in the field).
Good luck with your club! I too would love to hear ideas about cool activities and club ideas.

I've been thinking about starting up a pre-vet club at my school, but I'm apprehensive because of my very limited amount of free time. We do have a biology club, but unfortunately the meetings are on tuesdays, and I work every single tuesday.

If I were actually able to get a club going, I'd like to do fundraisers every now and then for local shelters. People could donate all kinds of things: litter pans, food, food bowls, towels, leashes, medications, etc...
For every item donated, the person could have an entry to a raffle for something silly like "we'll (the pre-vet club) clean your whole house" or "thoroughly wash and detail your car"

I am in the middle of trying to start one at our school. I have put signs almost everywhere around the school, but I swear it is like every science student here is for pre-med.

I really want to start one because when I finally figured out this is what I wanted to do with my life there was no one to talk to. We did have a pre-vet adviser, but I found out that she didnt work at the school any more. And the only information on it was the pre-reqs for CSU.

Now that I have become more informed about the whole process I want to help the people who might not even know where to start. But once again I still have yet to find any pre-vet students :(.

Oh and I forgot to say good luck!!!!:)