Vettie Book Club

Started by battie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Home girl, I'm gonna have to ask you to write a million reviews for this book on every website you can find. This cannot stand.
I did review it on Goodreads. I was extremely generous and gave the story a 3/5 because it was very Meh overall but most of my review was about how I almost downgraded it to 2 stars because of how dumb those questions were. They also had a border collie and a house rabbit greet her when she came inside and she asked “don’t dogs eat rabbits?”.

They also seemed to have a “10,000 acre ranch” within a couple hours drive of the Denver airport (not even a full day trip to go get her and drive back, plus described as “through town” then toward the mountains, not to the east) which also seemed highly unlikely as someone who had lived in that area.
 
Last edited:
I did review it on Goodreads. I was extremely generous and gave the story a 3/5 because it was very Meh overall but most of my review was about how I almost downgraded it to 2 stars because of how dumb those questions were. They also had a border collie and a house rabbit greet her when she came inside and she asked “don’t dogs eat rabbits?”.

They also seemed to have a “10,000 acre ranch” within a couple hours drive of the Denver airport (not even a full day trip to go get her and drive back, plus described as “through town” then toward the mountains, not to the east) which also seemed highly unlikely as someone who had lived in that area.

You're a nicer person than me. Which tracks. I feel like most pathologists are nicer than most ER people.
 
You're a nicer person than me. Which tracks. I feel like most pathologists are nicer than most ER people.
I’m hesitant to give books less than 3 stars even if I hate them because SOMEBODY probably loved it and the author worked hard for the book. I can’t trash on their baby. But I also almost rarely DNF a book

So 3 stars is very average for me,

Cdo’s Rating System
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️: amazing book, love this book, strongly recommend
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️: good book, would recommend
⭐️⭐️⭐️: Do I regret reading this? No. Would I recommend it? Also probably no.
⭐️⭐️: I regret reading this book
⭐️: f*** this book/ DNF
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Usually I say that my Goodreads history is between me and God (and a bonus @JaynaAli because she got tired of me asking if I had read X book) however I am willing to make an exception with the release of Heated Rivalry on HBO Max / Crave Canda

I need someone to be as feral about these books/ associated TV show as I am. Obsessed. In love.
 
So 3 stars is very average for me,

Cdo’s Rating System
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️: amazing book, love this book, strongly recommend
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️: good book, would recommend
⭐️⭐️⭐️: Do I regret reading this? No. Would I recommend it? Also probably no.
⭐️⭐️: I regret reading this book
⭐️: f*** this book/ DNF

Honestly this is basically what my review system is

Usually I say that my Goodreads history is between me and God (and a bonus @JaynaAli because she got tired of me asking if I had read X book) however I am willing to make an exception with the release of Heated Rivalry on HBO Max / Crave Canda

I need someone to be as feral about these books/ associated TV show as I am. Obsessed. In love.
Hi 🙋‍♀️ I still have to read the books (honestly bumping these to the top of my tbr list) but I am obsessed with the show so far
 
Honestly this is basically what my review system is


Hi 🙋‍♀️ I still have to read the books (honestly bumping these to the top of my tbr list) but I am obsessed with the show so far
The show follows the books really well! Obviously the show is based on book 2, but the third episode is based on about half of book 1 and that timeline is changed in the show to be more theatrical
 
I’m hesitant to give books less than 3 stars even if I hate them because SOMEBODY probably loved it and the author worked hard for the book. I can’t trash on their baby. But I also almost rarely DNF a book

I'm a grumpy old lady 🤣 If someone can't properly research or write on a topic when James Patterson did all the research to make When the Wind Blows and The Lake House as scientifically accurate as he could (at the time) on top of everything else he does, then it's at best a ⭐⭐.

Now, I will acknowledge when someone is writing to an audience vs just writing what they want to write/love. Let's be real, Twilight wasn't meant to be great ever lasting literature for high schoolers to write AP essays about. So I don't hold it to that standard.
 
The show follows the books really well! Obviously the show is based on book 2, but the third episode is based on about half of book 1 and that timeline is changed in the show to be more theatrical
Just finished the first book last night, and I am hooked! Feel free to pm me if you want to chat about the series anytime 🙂
 
so nice, double the long of Babel (or pretty close), but it is so interesting. Easy read, good hook, I love it. Im more than halfway through but I took a pause on it because Ive been pretty busy.
Got katabasis for Christmas from my brother! Excited to read it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
currently reading Phoenix keeper and it’s so good! I can understand some people finding all the zookkeeping tasks boring but I love it!
 
Started the audiobook for The Scorpio Races today and the narrators are great! I absolutely love this book and it’s a nice change to listen to it while i’m working instead of reading it

10/10 horse racing book about flesh eating water horses with a romance subplot
 
goodreads account as been made. goal is 1 book a month this year, and i need to finish priest ASAP. i started it fall of 2022 and never finished it (even tho its v good if you like h***y priests)

lets see if i can meet my goal of 12 books
 
If anyone has Story Graph, I'll be friends!!
I have one! Bellasauraus is my username

I got one! my username is owehend 🙂 by far the best way to do tracking on reading
I just heard about it at the beginning of the month and absolutely love how detailed they are about everything with the story! It's already helped me give book recs I got from one friend to another who has different reading preferences
 
If anyone is looking for new releases, Dandelion is Dead by Rosie Storey comes out on Tuesday and it’s fantastic. I did a combo of audio and physical. Easy 5 stars. Perfect if you love books about grief with MESSY characters. Messy, messy.
 
IMG_9673.jpeg
choosing peace this evening 😌😌😌
 
got a kindle bc i thought it would be cheaper than spending $14+ on actual books. even though I prefer actual books. signed up for the free trial of kindle unlimited, just to find out all of the books i wanna read aren't part of it... oh and most kindle books are the same if not more expensive than the paperbacks. Anyways...
I haven't read it yet, but Starve Acre was really highly recommended to me, described as "folk horror". There was a movie adaptation a few years ago too if you're into that.
I just finished Starve Acre. The ending was creepy but the buildup was kinda boring. 3/5 for me.
 
got a kindle bc i thought it would be cheaper than spending $14+ on actual books. even though I prefer actual books. signed up for the free trial of kindle unlimited, just to find out all of the books i wanna read aren't part of it... oh and most kindle books are the same if not more expensive than the paperbacks. Anyways...
Kindle unlimited availability varies widely by genre. Very worth it for genres like romance, not as much for others. There’s a lot more indie authors because they can self-publish via Amazon; the popular traditional publishing books usually aren’t part of it because Amazon requires that they be the only ebook seller if something is on Kindle unlimited, or something like that.
 
got a kindle bc i thought it would be cheaper than spending $14+ on actual books. even though I prefer actual books. signed up for the free trial of kindle unlimited, just to find out all of the books i wanna read aren't part of it... oh and most kindle books are the same if not more expensive than the paperbacks. Anyways...

I just finished Starve Acre. The ending was creepy but the buildup was kinda boring. 3/5 for me.
Check out kindle deals. They do a lot of deals of the day. I have an amazon list of books I want to read and periodically check if they’re on sale. If you like folk horror Withered Hill by David Barnett is like $1.99 right now. All of David Sodergren’s horror books are on KU. They’re fun, gross, and quick reads. My faves are The Haar and Maggie’s Grave.
 
I just finished Starve Acre. The ending was creepy but the buildup was kinda boring. 3/5 for me.

I still haven't read it, oops

got a kindle bc i thought it would be cheaper than spending $14+ on actual books. even though I prefer actual books. signed up for the free trial of kindle unlimited, just to find out all of the books i wanna read aren't part of it... oh and most kindle books are the same if not more expensive than the paperbacks. Anyways...

I love my kindle, but I almost exclusively get library books on it through Libby. Free, fast, convenient, and I love supporting the library
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally finished Katabasis and it was amazing! Just like Babel, it took me a bit to get into but then it was thrilling!
I finished it a few weeks back and absolutely loved it too!! I do understand why people who haven’t been immersed in academic culture might not love it. I have a classics/philosophy background and am truly an academic at heart so it was 110% right up my alley
 
The Thursday Murder Club was a very cute and well done movie on Netflix, so now, I'm reading the book its based on AND found out its a series!!
 
"Penance" by Eliza Clark is a fictional true crime novel about a small town in England that is forever changed by an act of violence. It's narrated by a journalist who is living in the town and conducting in depth research on the lives of the teenage perpretrators and victim. Tumblr plays a huge role in the story, with several of the main characters being active in its true crime / "edgy" communities.

It hit me like a ton of bricks having been a visitor of those online spaces as a teenage girl, where acts of violence were frequently justified because the perpetrators were misunderstood outcasts. It makes you wonder where is the line between exploitation and good storytelling? It was truly incredible, my favourite book so far of 2026.
 
"Penance" by Eliza Clark is a fictional true crime novel about a small town in England that is forever changed by an act of violence. It's narrated by a journalist who is living in the town and conducting in depth research on the lives of the teenage perpretrators and victim. Tumblr plays a huge role in the story, with several of the main characters being active in its true crime / "edgy" communities.

It hit me like a ton of bricks having been a visitor of those online spaces as a teenage girl, where acts of violence were frequently justified because the perpetrators were misunderstood outcasts. It makes you wonder where is the line between exploitation and good storytelling? It was truly incredible, my favourite book so far of 2026.
this is so crazy because i just started reading this! I read boy parts and really liked it so I'm excited to read even more of Penance now
 
I'm suffering through 30.5 credits this semester and haven't been able to read anywhere near as much as I did last year. Anyone have any good, easy, short reads? I'm not a romance person (unless it's queer), love something funny, but can be serious/emotional too!
 
I'm suffering through 30.5 credits this semester and haven't been able to read anywhere near as much as I did last year. Anyone have any good, easy, short reads? I'm not a romance person (unless it's queer), love something funny, but can be serious/emotional too!
Worry is really good, honestly the audiobook is the best because the narrator does an amazing job. funny and witty but also a little emotional
 
I'm suffering through 30.5 credits this semester and haven't been able to read anywhere near as much as I did last year. Anyone have any good, easy, short reads? I'm not a romance person (unless it's queer), love something funny, but can be serious/emotional too!

The Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan was great! Longer page count, but light reading overall
 
I'm suffering through 30.5 credits this semester and haven't been able to read anywhere near as much as I did last year. Anyone have any good, easy, short reads? I'm not a romance person (unless it's queer), love something funny, but can be serious/emotional too!
All of these should be right around or under 200ish pages

South of the Border, West of the Sun - Murakami
Days at the Morisaki Bookshop - Yagisawa
Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Bach
Fifteen Dogs - Alexis
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Thompson
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Dick
A Psalm for the Wild Built - Chambers
Call of the Wild - London
Amsterdam - McEwan
 
I'm suffering through 30.5 credits this semester and haven't been able to read anywhere near as much as I did last year. Anyone have any good, easy, short reads? I'm not a romance person (unless it's queer), love something funny, but can be serious/emotional too!
I've enjoyed the Sworn Soldier books by T. Kingfisher. Technically horror but not too horrific imo, and the narrator is very likeable with an amusing voice. The books are 200ish pages.
I'll be real, in second semester of second year I went back to reading a lot of the old school Nancy Drew books. They're all short and not very challenging because they were written for children. Also sometimes not very good but 😅
 
I'll be real, in second semester of second year I went back to reading a lot of the old school Nancy Drew books. They're all short and not very challenging because they were written for children. Also sometimes not very good but 😅
I love this!! Normalize reading middle grade books/books technically written for kids - I've read so many that are absolutely incredible! (And even if they aren't super well written sometimes they're so fun)
 
I've enjoyed listening to the American Girl books - absolutely written for kids but super fun to listen to as an adult, especially if you grew up reading them! Very nostalgic and some of the antics the kids get into are so cute - they make me smile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm suffering through 30.5 credits this semester and haven't been able to read anywhere near as much as I did last year. Anyone have any good, easy, short reads? I'm not a romance person (unless it's queer), love something funny, but can be serious/emotional too!
I've enjoyed the Sworn Soldier books by T. Kingfisher. Technically horror but not too horrific imo, and the narrator is very likeable with an amusing voice. The books are 200ish pages.
I'll be real, in second semester of second year I went back to reading a lot of the old school Nancy Drew books. They're all short and not very challenging because they were written for children. Also sometimes not very good but 😅
I love T. Kingfisher! She has a queer retelling of the snow queen ("the raven and the reindeer") that I absolutely recommend if you like fairy tales. It's a pretty quick read and it's my favorite from her.
 
I love this!! Normalize reading middle grade books/books technically written for kids - I've read so many that are absolutely incredible! (And even if they aren't super well written sometimes they're so fun)
One of my biggest surprises last year was the kid's book Varjak Paw. I picked it up at a yard sale bc the cute cat on the cover made me nostalgic for Warriors and the plot ended up so enthralling. It reminded me a lot of another obscure crime novel about cats I own called "Felidae".
 
I love this!! Normalize reading middle grade books/books technically written for kids - I've read so many that are absolutely incredible! (And even if they aren't super well written sometimes they're so fun)
I’ve been reading Inkheart! My problem is they’re incredibly good reads but 500+ pages with a lot of characters to keep track of. I was in the middle of Inkdeath but honestly have sort of lost my place. Skulduggery Pleasant is another one I’m a really big fan of if you like fantasy.
One of my biggest surprises last year was the kid's book Varjak Paw. I picked it up at a yard sale bc the cute cat on the cover made me nostalgic for Warriors and the plot ended up so enthralling. It reminded me a lot of another obscure crime novel about cats I own called "Felidae".
I wasn’t a Warriors kid but I have her series she did about bears (Seekers), and I’m excited to go back to it. I’m just at the point where I need one part of my life to not be animal related just for a little bit lol