Vettie Book Club

Started by battie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It was incredible and it broke my heart. As a big movie nerd too, the casting that they have announced is just impeccable and I can’t wait. Though the book is pretty dense which leads me to believe they are going to have to make some big cuts for the movie. I wonder how they will do it.

I haven’t read TBOSAS, just watched the movie. I definitely want to read it now because the way everything is connecting is so satisfying to me.
 
It was incredible and it broke my heart. As a big movie nerd too, the casting that they have announced is just impeccable and I can’t wait. Though the book is pretty dense which leads me to believe they are going to have to make some big cuts for the movie. I wonder how they will do it.

I haven’t read TBOSAS, just watched the movie. I definitely want to read it now because the way everything is connecting is so satisfying to me.

Read songbird and snakes then reaping, then the rest again. I forgot how good they were. Haven't seen songbird and snakes movie yet and definitely want to
 
I just finished I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman. I am at a loss for words only because the words I do have would give away some of the ending.
Is this a positive loss for words? This has been on my TBR for a while so I am glad you reminded me
 
Does anyone have any recs for a good non-fiction book about Chernobyl?

I was a weirdo as a kid and was obsessed when I was younger and I finally found time to watch the HBO mini series but now neurodivergent ADHD brain needs more.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That mini series was phenomenal
Would have watched the whole thing in one day if I hadn't had to work. It was SO informative, in a way I felt like even as a physics dummy with a science background I could understand. I actually immediately watched a Russian documentary from 1987 showing part of the clean up with original footage right after and seeing the real people who did that work was both incredible and chilling.
 
Does anyone have any recs for a good non-fiction book about Chernobyl?

I was a weirdo as a kid and was obsessed when I was younger and I finally found time to watch the HBO mini series but now neurodivergent ADHD brain needs more.
Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham! I have a few non-fiction books about it at my parents' house (thanks to that mini series) and can't remember what I have right now, but I know I read that one and found it fascinating
 
In July I've read:
- Abundance by Ezra Klein ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Original Sins: The (Mis)education of Black and Native Children and the Construction of American Racism by Eve L. Ewing ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Ripe by Sarah Rose Etter ⭐⭐ ... maybe ⭐
- The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- No More Tears: the Dark Secrets of Johnson & Johnson (in progress)

My hold for Sunrise on the Reaping from the library just came through and I am excited to get into that! So far I've read 23 books this year so I think I'm doing great on my goal of replacing doom scrolling with reading! 🎉
 
Finished The Coin by Yazmin Zaher. It completely went over my head. Wanted to love it, struggled to finish it, and just didn't understand it.
 
Got back on the reading bandwagon after going through it with work over the summer. Recently have read this month so far:
- Inheritance 2 (Eldest): much easier to get through than Eragon. Homeboy definitely improved with time and am excited to go through the next two (I've previously read) and the rest of the series that I haven't.
- We'll prescribe you a cat: very well done and sending to a friend who needs to read the last chapter. Good book for handling so many emotions around grief and guilt. Read originally for a book club that a bunch of people at work are a part of. But book club got moved to Saturday and I'm overnight that night. 😔
- ACOTAR 1: one of my techs is lending me who whole box set, so blasting through them.
- ACOTAR 2: wild ride with some shenanigans I wasn't expecting. Which in hindsight is me choosing to not think ahead and enjoy the book in the moment. But can see the foreshadowing when things happen.
 
Got back on the reading bandwagon after going through it with work over the summer. Recently have read this month so far:
- Inheritance 2 (Eldest): much easier to get through than Eragon. Homeboy definitely improved with time and am excited to go through the next two (I've previously read) and the rest of the series that I haven't.
- We'll prescribe you a cat: very well done and sending to a friend who needs to read the last chapter. Good book for handling so many emotions around grief and guilt. Read originally for a book club that a bunch of people at work are a part of. But book club got moved to Saturday and I'm overnight that night. 😔
- ACOTAR 1: one of my techs is lending me who whole box set, so blasting through them.
- ACOTAR 2: wild ride with some shenanigans I wasn't expecting. Which in hindsight is me choosing to not think ahead and enjoy the book in the moment. But can see the foreshadowing when things happen.
Once you finish the ACOTAR series, I highly recommend checking out SJM's other series Throne of Glass and Crescent City! SJM puts lil Easter eggs in each of the series for people who have read them all which is super fun. Throne of Glass is a completed series and definitely my favorite fantasy series.
 
Once you finish the ACOTAR series, I highly recommend checking out SJM's other series Throne of Glass and Crescent City! SJM puts lil Easter eggs in each of the series for people who have read them all which is super fun. Throne of Glass is a completed series and definitely my favorite fantasy series.

I've been told that ACOTAR is her "meh" series as a whole and the others are even better, which is great. My husband already had one book for some reason he can't remember 🤣
 
Once you finish the ACOTAR series, I highly recommend checking out SJM's other series Throne of Glass and Crescent City! SJM puts lil Easter eggs in each of the series for people who have read them all which is super fun. Throne of Glass is a completed series and definitely my favorite fantasy series.
I thought TOG was total garbage........... I literally could not finish the series it was so bad.
 
I’m trying to get back into reading, i really enjoy fantasy and horror, but will read anything. Any recommendations? I didn’t really like ACOTAR. Read the first two books and gave up.
 
You may like Shadow and Bone series by Leigh Bardugo (the Six of Crows duology is a follow up to that series and is FANTASTIC) or the Ember in the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir. Both are fantasy with darker elements!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to get back on the reading bandwagon - recently read A Psalm for the Wild Built by Becky Chambers, which I LOVED, and Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel, which I also really enjoyed although Station Eleven remains my favorite of hers (and also my favorite ever)
I've been told that ACOTAR is her "meh" series as a whole and the others are even better, which is great. My husband already had one book for some reason he can't remember 🤣
ACOTAR is my favorite of her series to read, but ToG is arguably her best writing imo? It's interesting to watch her style develop through the series because it started out more YA but became less so over the course of it. It's also nice that it's a completed series. ACOTAR 6 doesn't even have a release date yet.
 
I thought TOG was total garbage........... I literally could not finish the series it was so bad.
I will say the first two books are really hard to get into, but after all the world-building and actual plot gets revealed, I really enjoyed the series. Her later books are def better
 
I've been told that ACOTAR is her "meh" series as a whole and the others are even better, which is great. My husband already had one book for some reason he can't remember 🤣
Yeaahhh as I've read her other series, I realized this too. Crescent City is so much better in my opinion
 
Just finished my first book of vet school! Only took me a month oof lol

It's called This Poison Heart by Kalynn Bayron. Was recommended to read it after reading Legendborn, and I liked it a lot! Has a lot of greek mythology tie-ins for my fellow PJO kids out there. Really recommend it for anyone looking for a new read!
 
I read the original ACOTAR trilogy and mostly enjoyed them, but I was deinfluenced from SJM after hearing the critiques made by Welsh readers about the problematic undertones of those books. I decided not to continue with Fourth Wing for similar but less extreme controversies. I hadn't picked up on any of that myself, but after it was pointed out I just lost interest in learning how those stories ended.

I'm behind on my KU goal so I've been reading old favorites from middle school to catch up a bit. A bunch of Vivian Vande Velde's books are on KU now, and the the Discworld Tiffany Aching books are all on there too. I'm also starting on Forbidden Alchemy by Stacey McEwan. I've followed her forever but never actually read anything by her, so I'm going in with high expectations.
 
I read I think four ACOTAR but lost interest and haven’t read the last one or any of the spinoffs. I do enjoy some fourth wing though.

But I have been in a major book slump for months. I saw a TikTok video for a book that sounded interesting yesterday and I was excited that I’d maybe break the slump, it the book isn’t released for another week. So alas, still slumping.
 
I read I think four ACOTAR but lost interest and haven’t read the last one or any of the spinoffs. I do enjoy some fourth wing though.

But I have been in a major book slump for months. I saw a TikTok video for a book that sounded interesting yesterday and I was excited that I’d maybe break the slump, it the book isn’t released for another week. So alas, still slumping.
Lowkey, pinterest has been really good for helping me find book recs. once it finds out one that you like, it is really good at putting a bunch more on your home page.
 
I have a bunch downloaded from kindle unlimited I just can’t find the motivation to start one.
Ohhhh this. Yeah I can’t help with this. The book decides for you when it wants to be read— until then you just suffer in waiting because nothing sounds good. I only want to read my unread books the weekend before an exam 🙃 suddenly reading sounds soooooo fun.
 
Ohhhh this. Yeah I can’t help with this. The book decides for you when it wants to be read— until then you just suffer in waiting because nothing sounds good. I only want to read my unread books the weekend before an exam 🙃 suddenly reading sounds soooooo fun.
I literally get Google to pick a number for me which then I match to my tbr to decide my next read 😂 that way I never have to agonize over which to pick
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read a really silly, frivolous, Christmasy romance novel tonight and the female main character was supposedly a “city girl” veterinarian who visited her best friend’s family’s cattle ranch. As the bestie’s cowboy brother is driving her from the airport to the ranch in Colorado, the woman, who is supposed to be a practicing vet, asks if the cows are cold and what they eat. I almost DNFed the whole book right then.

0/5 stars, do not recommend.

I should know better than to read things with a vet character or set in small towns. I know too much.
 
Last edited:
I read a really silly, frivolous, Christmasy romance novel tonight and the female main character was supposedly a “city girl” veterinarian who visited her best friend’s family’s cattle ranch. As the bestie’s cowboy brother is driving her from the airport to the ranch in Colorado, the woman, who is supposed to be a practicing vet, asks if the cows are cold and what they eat. I almost DNFed the whole book right then.

0/5 stars, do not recommend.

I should know better than to read things with a vet character or set in small towns. I know too much.

Home girl, I'm gonna have to ask you to write a million reviews for this book on every website you can find. This cannot stand.