Pre-Vets/Veterinary Students with Autism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you have autism?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters

Animal Midwife

perpetually confused
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious how many of you that have an autism spectrum disorder (like Asperger) want to become vets?

I have it! :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm just curious how many of you that have an autism spectrum disorder (like Asperger) want to become vets?

My little sister has Asperger's, so I wouldn't say you should ever let it hold you back. I understand you may find certain situations more difficult than those without the hurdle, but don't let it discourage you! My sister was super nervous about starting undergrad (she had trouble in high school, mostly due to her peers picking her out for being 'different'), but she has been doing really well so far, academically and socially. I think as long as you know what is more of a challenge for you and do whatever you need to do to make it work, you'll do well! Vet school is certainly very different from undergrad, but just know your strengths and weaknesses (like the rest of us have to do as well) and go from there.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly, there are probably quite a few people and some may not know that they have autism. I'm probably one of them.

Unfortunately, for people who fall into certain age cohorts, autism wasn't on the radar of things that kids were screened for entering school years ago and seeking diagnosis as an adult is difficult (largely because people who fall into the verbal, high-functioning end of the spectrum usually find ways to cope with the disorder as they get older - like learning to mimic the behavior of other people).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I know she isn't actually a DVM, but Dr. Temple Grandin (on the autism spectrum) is a Dr. of Animal Science, Professor at CSU and quite an accomplished writer, speaker and researcher in the animal field. Her books are fantastic and may give you some inspiration. Good luck and don't let anything hold you back!

Reactions: 3 users
Like with anything else, it'll all depend on how much it affects you and what your career goals are.

For example, as wonderful as Temple Grandin is with what she does (including public speaking), she would not do well as a small animal private practitioner.

It's a matter of finding what line of work fits you, and that's going to differ from person to person. Being on the autism spectrum can mean very different things for different people, so it's hard to generalize.

Reactions: 4 users
Speaking with Dr Grandin, she basically says she refuses to take excuses from anyone. If you have ADD/ADHD, autism, or anything else... her advise is to figure out what works for you, get help, anything but say I can't because I'm wired this way. Maybe you'll find you aren't great at math, but you excel in lit with certain coping strategies, she'd say you have found a calling. She's blunt and takes no excuses. She advises several students in animal Sci and she has had several with various disabilities. She has said in person and in lecture that there is no excuse to not try your best and to never give up.

Reactions: 1 user