PreCal for Algebra Based Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mafunk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My math is about 25 years old - YES twentyfive years. Also when I last took trig 25 years ago I got an F, mainly because I never went to class and never took the final.

So this fall I'm taking Algebra based physics. i am trying to decide whether or not to take Precal this summer. On the one hand I want to because it qualifies to replace my F trig grade and would be a nice review. On the other hand, I'm so busy with my other classes, volunteering and shadowing that I would love to free up my time by not taking the class. And I feel I can review math on my own - ironically I'm good at math.

What do you think? What would you do and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see how pre-calc will get rid of your F. Either way, for MD purposes, they will just average. Also, nobody can give you the advice you seek because we really can't measure how much you in specific will need it. I would suggest you take the placement test at your college.

I don't see how pre-calc will get rid of your F. Either way, for MD purposes, they will just average. Also, nobody can give you the advice you seek because we really can't measure how much you in specific will need it. I would suggest you take the placement test at your college.

Thanks for your reply. Actually precal does replace the F as it is trigPLUS. D.O. CASPA uses grade replacement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Precalc is more than you need for algebra based physics, at least in my experience. All I really needed was the absolute basics of trigonometry (i.e. soh cah toa).

I just went through a re-learning math adventure so I figure I'll throw in my two-cents, for what it's worth (which probably isn't much).

So after 9 years in the Marines and 10 years out of high school, more practically 11 years since I've done any classroom math, I took the college's placement test. Well, I placed into developmental algebra. Yep, gut check. So I either had to take Elementary Math, Algebra I, Algebra II, then finally a for-credit precal class. That's three classes to take a class that's still two classes from the required calculus. Unacceptable. For a variety of reasons. First it's the time allocation. Second, in order to take chemistry, university physics, etc., you need to have upper level maths completed. Specifically for physics, you need to be either enrolled or have completed calc I.

I decided I would CLEP precalculus and take Calc I this summer. I started studying in February and on April 7th I sucessfully CLEP'd precalculus. I struggled quite a bit at first becuase I didn't know exactly where to start. Well once I figured out I had literally forgotten my mutliplication tables, I started with that. I worked my way COMPLETELY through 4 books, up through Pre-Calculus Demystified.

I would suggest you brush up in a structured fashion, try to CLEP the pre-cal test, and take a calculus class. This stuff isn't hard to self-teach. It just takes some discipline, the correct ego-setting, and a structured approach.

Your school may not accept CLEPs, but the will at least waive the pre-cal prerequisite for calculus and any other classes requiring them.

Your school may not accept CLEPs, but the will at least waive the pre-cal prerequisite for calculus and any other classes requiring them.

Where are you applying? As far as I can tell, none of the programs I'm looking at require calculus or any math prereqs. And with Algebra Based Physics one doesn't need calculus either.

Thanks for your reply. Actually precal does replace the F as it is trigPLUS. D.O. CASPA uses grade replacement.

Correct...just be aware that ultimately it is up to whoever is doing the transcript verification as to whether or not one grade replaces another, not the applicant.

Are you able to pull up the class description from your college course catalog of the trig class you took 25 years ago?

Correct...just be aware that ultimately it is up to whoever is doing the transcript verification as to whether or not one grade replaces another, not the applicant.

Are you able to pull up the class description from your college course catalog of the trig class you took 25 years ago?
@Legendary I've already spoken to CASPA, they said as long as I had an official letter from the school stating equivalency they would honor it.

Where are you applying? As far as I can tell, none of the programs I'm looking at require calculus or any math prereqs. And with Algebra Based Physics one doesn't need calculus either.
Every UC campus + Harvard + Johns Hopkins + others require math. Some require more than others.

I'm in a biochem program for which I need University Physics, or Calculus-based physics. The biochem program requires Calc I-III. I don't particularly want to take them, but generally math is something I struggle with and have a hard time applying, so I'm going to take as many math classes as I can so I can get a firm and practical understanding. And from a problem-solving perspective, I think I'll get a lot from those courses.

Also, some MD programs require a semester of calc.

As for the Physics I math, I'd review on my own (save on tuition and time) because the Algebra in Algebra-based Physics is not overwhelming in my opinion. I can't comment on the grade replacement.