Preclinical Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a DO was trying to get into ACGME radiology or general surgery, is the MS1-2 grades very important? I understand for a MD it would not be, but for a DO trying to get a spot would it? If so, like a 4.0? I'm carrying all A's and B's now.

Members don't see this ad.

If a DO was trying to get into ACGME radiology or general surgery, is the MS1-2 grades very important? I understand for a MD it would not be, but for a DO trying to get a spot would it? If so, like a 4.0? I'm carrying all A's and B's now.

You should do the best you can in your M1/2 years. Of course you'll have to pass your classes, but like any other specialty it is far more important to do well in M3/4 and have strong letters of rec as well as board scores. Do your best and apply based on how your stats stack up against the pool as a whole when the time comes.

There are AOA general surg and radiology slots, btw.

Yes, but if I do GS I want to do bariatrics. I have a feeling the AOA doesn't have that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always got a kick out of people saying grades don't matter then in the same sentence saying class rank does lol

OP-think of the first two yrs as two yrs of dedicated board prep. that's exactly what it is.

Ok thanks! I'm just a first year and you hear so many different stories!

For surgery, anatomy does matter, so people say.

Pre-clinical grades don't matter.. relatively speaking. You can certainly do bariatrics out of a AOA program.. My chair of surgery is a big deal in bariatrics.

They have AOA bariactric fellowships?

My fear of doing AOA GS and then ACGME fellowship is you have that issue of taking the boards. I read about this happening with CT surgery. Where you can't sit for the MD boards and have to try and get the AOA to take theirs?

Pre-clinical grades don't matter.. relatively speaking. You can certainly do bariatrics out of a AOA program.. My chair of surgery is a big deal in bariatrics.

Does NSU do class rankings?

They have AOA bariactric fellowships?

My fear of doing AOA GS and then ACGME fellowship is you have that issue of taking the boards. I read about this happening with CT surgery. Where you can't sit for the MD boards and have to try and get the AOA to take theirs?

The residency/fellowship process is detailed and convoluted. Pre-meds and med students are used to structured loops to jump through to achieve a goal. However, post-med school medicine is not that black and white. Most bariatric surgeons are not board-certified in bariatric surgery. I'm not even quite sure if there is a legitimate bariatric boards (I never heard of one).. Most "bariatric" fellowships are actually laparoscopic or MIS (minimally invasive fellowships) You can also specialize in a certain field without doing any additional fellowship training in surgery as long as you got adequate exposure during your gen surg residency. Would love to explain further, but I'm not really sure how to convey this point. Sorry, tired.

Last edited:
What years are included in nsu's class rank? I dont believe anyone ever mentioned this to us.

Mostly first and second year. Only graded classes count. Like I said, I don't think it matters much. I was middle of the pack or so and with good board scores got to select my residency.