Preference to Cali Residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uncswim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from NC but considering applying to some California schools. Does anybody know if California schools (UCLA and UCSD) give preference to in state students?

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine any state school would give a slight preference to in state applicants.

UCLA has 86% instate matriculants
UCSD has 92% instate matriculants

Although this doesn't say exactly the breakdown of acceptances, you can get a decent idea about the prefs.

Members don't see this ad :)
also, seeing as how those two are top-25 schools, im guessing you must be a very competetive oos from a "good" university.

uncswim said:
I'm from NC but considering applying to some California schools. Does anybody know if California schools (UCLA and UCSD) give preference to in state students?

Yes, they do.

Now go away, we have too many applicants as it is. You're allowed to apply to Stanford though. :smuggrin:

Sorry to replay the broken record here, but the important peice of advice that you are missing here - GET AN MSAR AND READ IT. Instead of asking total strangers for questionably accurate advice about something this important - do your homework.

Oh - and to answer your original question, CA schools don't even take Californians, they only take a specially bred group of mutants raised on Mars. I am hoping this googly-antenna headband I am wearing will give me a shot.

Flopotomist said:
Oh - and to answer your original question, CA schools don't even take Californians, they only take a specially bred group of mutants raised on Mars. I am hoping this googly-antenna headband I am wearing will give me a shot.
:laugh:

Flopotomist said:
Sorry to replay the broken record here, but the important peice of advice that you are missing here - GET AN MSAR AND READ IT. Instead of asking total strangers for questionably accurate advice about something this important - do your homework.

LOL

tacrum43 said:
Yes, they do.

Now go away, we have too many applicants as it is. You're allowed to apply to Stanford though. :smuggrin:

DAMN SKIPPY!!!!! I second "go away"!!!!!

He/she can apply to USC also!

So, I guess I found the answer myself... although I'm not sure I believe it due to the in state % of matriculants. UCLA does not give preference to in state applicants (quoted from their site) and UCSD does.

uncswim said:
So, I guess I found the answer myself... although I'm not sure I believe it due to the in state % of matriculants. UCLA does not give preference to in state applicants (quoted from their site) and UCSD does.

so they say! But check out the makeup of the class

Flopotomist said:
CA schools don't even take Californians, they only take a specially bred group of mutants raised on Mars. I am hoping this googly-antenna headband I am wearing will give me a shot.

:laugh:

Flop are you from Cali?