Pregnancy and Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 30 and starting to have a family. I have one more class left and that is organic chemistry II before I can go off to pharmacy school. I'm planning to have my first child before I go, but unfortuately, I can't
take organic chemistry II until my child is born due to chemicals in the lab.
Pregnant women are not allowed in the lab. How did you gals handle
that situation? Also, since I'm one class away, I'm applying for pharmacy school and I am hoping the admissions will give me a one year delayed conditional acceptance. Do you know if that is possible? What I mean
is if I get accepted in for next year, I want the admissions to extend
my acceptance offer the year after so I can finish my class later and
enjoy a few months with the baby. What should I do?

Please share your thoughts or advice. Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't apply to pharmacy school until you are actually ready to go to pharmacy school. Schools want their classes full and would rather take a student that actually plans to show up in the fall than a student that wants delayed acceptance.

I don't even think schools would give you delayed acceptance based on that. I've only heard of delays being given for emergency medical or family issues. Of course I could be wrong so it's always best to check with the schools you are applying to. There's no point in wasting your money and time applying this year if you aren't ready to go to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a mom I am sympathetic to your situation, but I have never heard of such a thing as conditional acceptance from the beginning. When pharmacy schools have several thousand applicants for around 100-150 seats, they really aren't going to be interested in accomodating you. You need to apply for the year you can actually go.

I found out I was pregnant about 1 week before I was accepted to pharmacy school! My school required money up front to hold my seat in the class. They also offered a 1-year, no questions asked-deferral. I paid my money and then sent in a request for my 1-year deferral. It worked out perfectly! In your situation I would not apply to a school until you know the details of their acceptance offers and deferment policies. Good luck!:luck: