pregnancy induced pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

towards stardom

life isnt fair...go deal
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
need to know most common diseases caused by pregnancy. anyone know, please contact me or respond to this post

thank you
towards stardom

Members don't see this ad.

interesting diagnosis...however, i was thinking more along the lines of affecting to internal health. this does not include the excessive excercise that one gets chasing around a two year old nor does this include patricide or matricide.

Members don't see this ad :)
The three that immediately come to mind are pre-eclampsia/eclampsia, gestational diabetes, and ectopic pregnancy. I'm not sure if these truly are the Big 3 or if they just get the most press, but you could certainly start your search by looking into the prevalence rates of each. Another one that gets decent press is placenta previa, so you might do a search on that, too.

Placental inflammation and infection, placenta acreta, increta, percreta, trophoblastic disease, and a whole host of diseases with pregnancy increases risks of UTI, cystitis, hypercoagulable staits, etc.

first part is due on the ninth of this month, but its not really neccesary that i find the info till the 14th (the paper is in sections)

technically its not a paper. my assignment is to create a 3 week unit so that a high school teacher may be able to teach this subject. my topic was pregnancy induced pathology. interesting huh?

technically its not a paper. my assignment is to create a 3 week unit so that a high school teacher may be able to teach this subject. my topic was pregnancy induced pathology. interesting huh?

For high school? Tell 'em that there is a 90% chance of bleeding to death during pregnancy. Then, follow that up with the whole "sinners go to hell" talk.

Fa' real: I'd do something about the effects of various substances on mom and fetus.

For high school? Tell 'em that there is a 90% chance of bleeding to death during pregnancy. Then, follow that up with the whole "sinners go to hell" talk.

Fa' real: I'd do something about the effects of various substances on mom and fetus.

no can do. another person's doing narcotics. i have to stick with plain old body wreaking havoc within itself. i know...d**n but hey, interesting rite? and didnt that percentage rate go down to something like 40? (or were u pulling the sarcastic card?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed a nutrition major in undergrad, so my thoughts (after diabetes) were: the increased need for nutrition i.e., iron, folate, calcium etc due to the increased strain placed on the mother by the fetus; as deficiencies in these could lead to anemia, exaserbate osteoporosis in the mother...also you could talk about pathology of the developing fetus: such as neural tube defects, 'hole in the heart'... Surely your topic would not ONLY include the potential pathologies of the mother? So, any affects that under/over nurishment could have on the fetus, drug affects maybe?

What I find really interesting is that if the mother devlops any diseases over the course of the preganacy, it is likely that she will develop them over her lifespan. This is something that the hs kids might find interesting...?

Try fourth degree perineal laceration.

1585_f9.jpg

Try fourth degree perineal laceration.

1585_f9.jpg

happened to a family member of mine. It's hell. you've just given birth to a beautiful newborn baby and then you rushed off to emergency colorectal surgery and can't even pick up your baby for next several weeks while your healing. And of course there's always the risk of fecal incontinence.

If this is for high schoolers, tell the girls they'll get stretch marks, gain weight they'll never get rid of, get saggy breasts, and in general lose their bikini bodies forever! :eek:

Is gestational diabetes really that prevalent? I thought vasopressinase overproduction in the placenta was a fairly rare occurrence.

The way I understood it, individuals who get gestational diabetes already have a predisposition to getting diabetes and THATS why 50% end up having diabetes 5 years postnatal.

As a mother of two, I can attest to the fact that even healthy pregnancies seriously mess up the mother's body afterwards. The obvious is the stretching of all the abdominal muscles that seem to forever leave a pooch. But there are certainly other things that are negatively affected.

Is gestational diabetes really that prevalent?

I believe it's about 4% these days, with certain ethnic groups showing markedly increased risk.

Oh, and let's not forget nipple toughening.

HannibalCloseupMask.jpg

I don't remember the name of it but how about the disorder that makes you crave chocoloate chip pancakes at 2 am?

Dual X chromasome disease. "Disomy 23x".

I completed a nutrition major in undergrad, so my thoughts (after diabetes) were: the increased need for nutrition i.e., iron, folate, calcium etc due to the increased strain placed on the mother by the fetus; as deficiencies in these could lead to anemia, exaserbate osteoporosis in the mother...also you could talk about pathology of the developing fetus: such as neural tube defects, 'hole in the heart'... Surely your topic would not ONLY include the potential pathologies of the mother? So, any affects that under/over nurishment could have on the fetus, drug affects maybe?

What I find really interesting is that if the mother devlops any diseases over the course of the preganacy, it is likely that she will develop them over her lifespan. This is something that the hs kids might find interesting...?

this is hs we're talking about. since when do they care about anything? though i have to thank you. this is very useful information and im sure i can include it. thanks everyone

This isn't pregnancy per se . . . but relevant in my opinion (esp if you want to scare the teens) . . . go for hydatidiform mole.

I was going to mention the 4th degree perineal laceration but gut shot beat me to it.