pregnant-can I take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomness1465

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated from medical school last May and gave birth to my son one month later in June. I did not want to start my residency on maternity leave or with a newborn, so I took the year off. I did not enter the match last year, but entered this year. I applied to 21 programs and received 18 interviews. I was concerned about how programs would respond to me taking a year off also. It did not really seem to affect me. I matched at Cleveland Clinic with no problems. Have fun taking care of your little one. I really enjoyed having the time off and getting to watch my son grow for the first year. It goes by so fast. Good luck!

Its a perfectly legitimate reason to take a year off and may be seen as practical and sensitive to the fact that a resident with an infant often disrupts the work schedule of their colleagues (ie, by needing more time off, leaving early, etc.).

I would think most programs wouldn't have a problem with it, especially if its only a year.

if you didn't match, you can do whatever your heart desires without concern for others!

i'll echo the sentiments of winged scapula, that most programs will see it as practical and likely to be a non-issue.

Hi all,

I am about to graduate from a US med school. What do programs think of you taking a year off if you are pregnant? I did not match so this is not an issue. I am just curious if programs look down on you for taking a year off and then going through the match next year due to the pregnancy issues. Is this acceptable?

Why should they? Its a legitimate reason. Most PD's would probably understand. Enjoy your time off with your new baby. Then, when you're ready, go ahead and reapply for residency.

If I was a PD, I would appreciate your logic and honesty A LOT more than someone who went through the match, got pregnant and decided to tell me this AFTER they've matched (and 1 month before starting).

Of course everyone else will need to pick up the slack.

And that really irks me for some reason.

i'll echo the sentiments of winged scapula, that most programs will see it as practical and likely to be a non-issue.

Agreed, your failure to match the first time will likely be a far bigger impediment.

Agreed, your failure to match the first time will likely be a far bigger impediment.

I think this person would do OK with going through the match a second time, especially if she is a US grad, . . . maybe she didn't get ranked highly if she was obviously "gravid" during interviews and asked about time-off in terms of months during interviews (this may be "illegal" but maybe some programs would have a hard time covering for a resident who misses a lot of time . . .) so maybe her situation will improve since by next year she will have gotten through the pregnancy and post-partum period etc . . . also maybe she didn't try hard to scramble or travel to a lot of interviews if she already sort of planned to take a year off. . . I think I heard of one pediatric residency that actually gave a resident credit for doing an ob/gyn paper/project while they were taking time off while pregnant. . .

Generally they demand that you be able to account for lapses of time in your career, ie. a mystery year between med school and residency or a year between 2nd and 3rd years of med school. "I had a baby." will be a reasonable response that will satisfy everyone. "Just hangin' out." will cause alarm bells.

Generally they demand that you be able to account for lapses of time in your career, ie. a mystery year between med school and residency or a year between 2nd and 3rd years of med school. "I had a baby." will be a reasonable response that will satisfy everyone. "Just hangin' out." will cause alarm bells.

Meh...dont think it is really as much of a big deal as it used to be. More and more people are just spending a year here and there working/bumming around in places like Europe or parents' basement.

Would not cause an alarm bell for me. Being a douche on the otherhand and lacking personal/biz skills is a huge alarm bell.