Pregnant M4 and due in June

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lu099

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently an M4 going into family medicine. I am 13 weeks pregnant and due mid-June. I've finished all my interviews and didn't tell any programs I was pregnant. I know some programs have mandatory orientation starting June 15 while others start July 1st... do I wait until after the match to tell the program or is this something I need to tell them now?
I asked about maternity leave on interviews, and they all said basically that they make anything work, but didn't say much more.
I'd appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm currently an M4 going into family medicine. I am 13 weeks pregnant and due mid-June. I've finished all my interviews and didn't tell any programs I was pregnant. I know some programs have mandatory orientation starting June 15 while others start July 1st... do I wait until after the match to tell the program or is this something I need to tell them now?
I asked about maternity leave on interviews, and they all said basically that they make anything work, but didn't say much more.
I'd appreciate any advice!

I would definitely not say anything until after you match

Reactions: 4 users
I would definitely not say anything until after you match

Is it possible it could be seen as some sort of match violation to not disclose this since it would affect your start date? Even if not I'd imagine not telling a program until after you match that you plan to start late because youre having a kid may leave a bad taste in the PD's (and probably other residents) mouth.

I'm not even an M1 yet though, so I'd love to hear a more senior opinion...

*In any case, congratulations and best of luck to you!*

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible it could be seen as some sort of match violation to not disclose this since it would affect your start date? Even if not I'd imagine not telling a program until after you match that you plan to start late because youre having a kid may leave a bad taste in the PD's (and probably other residents) mouth.

I'm not even an M1 yet though, so I'd love to hear a more senior opinion...

*In any case, congratulations and best of luck to you!*

@Lu099 I would ask mentors at your school.

It shouldn't be a match violation. Programs are not allowed to ask about pregnancy or marital statu (among other things). I do not think OP is obligated to tell them.

FM of all specialties is very understanding when it comes to taking care of your family, so they should be ok with it either way. I'm not sure the best way to proceed, but I would talk to mentors at my school and see if it's ok to not mention it until after the match...

Reactions: 1 user
Found this from the NRMP:

"The Residency is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate with regard to gender, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, veteran status or any other legally protected status".

I'd be inclined to tell them once you matched. Then again, I'm a dad so my advice might not be the most applicable!

It won't be a match violation but it's poor form to do this. Your program will likely view you negatively if you show up and say hey, sorry I'm having a baby so I'll be gone right when I start.

They can't ask you about pregnancy or marital status, but it's the professional thing to do for you to tell them - especially after the match.

I had a very busy prelim med year at a community program and we (non-pregnant people) were killed by the three women who had babies during that year, especially when one of them didn't tell anyone about it and we all had to cancel vacations, switch shifts, etc. to accommodate her.

Reactions: 2 users
It won't be a match violation but it's poor form to do this. Your program will likely view you negatively if you show up and say hey, sorry I'm having a baby so I'll be gone right when I start.

They can't ask you about pregnancy or marital status, but it's the professional thing to do for you to tell them - especially after the match.

I had a very busy prelim med year at a community program and we (non-pregnant people) were killed by the three women who had babies during that year, especially when one of them didn't tell anyone about it and we all had to cancel vacations, switch shifts, etc. to accommodate her.

In short definitely tell them as soon as you match but definitely do not tell them before you match. It's most professional not to mention pregnancy before you have an official employment offer but as soon as you do. Obviously the pregnancy impacts the other people at work in a negative sense so that is why you tell them as soon as you can -- right after you match. It is illegal for them to hold it against you for concealing this information before the match and it is not in your best interest to reveal it.

Reactions: 4 users
Nobody expects you to reveal it until you are matched so do not feel any pressure to reveal your pregnancy

It would be so incredibly easy for a program to drop you down their rank list if you told them this, that I would say 100% do not tell any program until you match.

Yes it is illegal and unethical for programs to hold your pregnancy against you as an applicant, but the nature of the match system makes it impossible to prove anything.

Take lots of baby pictures so that your co-interns will immediately forgive you over how cute your child is.

Reactions: 1 users
I would definitely tell them but after match. I would also tell them your plan of how long you think you will be out/when you expect to be able to start. I would assume a few weeks to 1 month is very different than 3-6 months.

This is exactly why you don't tell them before you match! Tell them after, but if you say it before, it will probably factor into their overall perception of you, even if it is not conscious.

1. Do you want to show up pregnant unannounced to a program that is not family friendly and already pissed at you when you start
2. Do you want to take advice from a premed

1. Do you want to show up pregnant unannounced to a program that is not family friendly and already pissed at you when you start
2. Do you want to take advice from a premed

No she wants someone to tell her they would do what she is going to do regardless of feigning that she wont on a forum.

You'll have to tell them after the match. Even if you weren't pregnant, that's when many programs will start asking about requests for time off. There may also need to be arrangements made for you if you're going to miss some of orientation. In many systems, there's a GME-wide orientation- meaning interns from all the specialties go through it together. So it may not simply be a matter of only your program rescheduling things for you.