Pregnant while interviewing for jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Drfunnyteeth

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Looking for some thoughts and advice here. Long story short, I'm 10 weeks pregnant while looking for an associate dentist position. I wasn't planning to be looking for a new job at this moment, but it wasn't working with my last office.
I worry about when and how to tell a new employer. I don't think I should have to tell them while interviewing, especially since it is still a bit early on and anything could happen. I need to work, so just waiting until after I give birth isn't an option for me (I wouldn't mind a several months vacation).
I am avoiding offices where it would possibly really put them in a bind when I need to go on maternity leave in 7 months, but I also don't want zero offers because I tell them I'm pregnant.

I have considered temping, but I've seen zero postings in my area. Other options would be exams for military events traveling around the state.
I've gotten some offers, but if I accept, then the question is when to tell them - 16 weeks? 20?
So, I'm looking for some thoughts. Has anyone been in a similar position? What did you do?

Kind words please! It's a stressful situation. Thank you!
 
Honestly, do corporate. They have a revolving door of associates and won’t care so much if you leave or are unable to do certain things. They will also provide you with a nice daily so if you want to coast you can.

You can leave after you give birth if you find a good private office - but in my experience good offices are tricky to come by and so that will take some time.
 
so many of the "private" offices here have been purchased by a DSO. I think 4 of the offices I interviewed with were owned by one but run by a dentist.