pregnant women want to stop feeding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the cute doctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi every body
is bromocriptine suitable during pregnancy to stop the milk?
if not what 's the suitable drugs?

another question
why can't the topical antibiotic preparation be used in the vagina ?

Members don't see this ad.

the cute doctor said:
hi every body

another question

"Bromocriptine is in the FDA pregnancy category B. This means that it is unlikely to harm an unborn baby. Do not take bromocriptine without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant."

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance, but that is just my personal opinion as a mother. I am not a medical professional.

jemc2000 said:
"Bromocriptine is in the FDA pregnancy category B. This means that it is unlikely to harm an unborn baby. Do not take bromocriptine without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant."

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance, but that is just my personal opinion as a mother. I am not a medical professional.
Really though category B is not much of anything.

While you as a mother may think its a big deal in all actuality B is really not that significant......

Ok this is Edited...

Jd is right. If this is personal advice go talk to your doctor it all depends on the reason you are taking bromocriptine to start with.

The vagina is a special place... leave it at that

I would also really hate it if people started coming here and asking us questions that they have for "homework" or something they were told to go home and look up.

Everyone should know by now (if you need to know) how to find the appropriate information for drugs and your school should make the appropriate resources available.

i am more than willing to help others out especially if you cannot find anything about about it and are simply curious b/c you saw/ heard something strange

Members don't see this ad :)
jemc2000 said:

Michelle,

I don't think that's what she's asking.

Yes, bromocryptine can be used to treat hyperprolactinemia/galactorrhea in some instances. I don't want to turn this into some type of "ask a pharmacist/student/idiot with a computer thread". The forum isn't for medical advice, OP. Go see your doctor. :thumbup:

jdpharmd? said:
Michelle,

I don't think that's what she's asking.

Yes, bromocryptine can be used to treat hyperprolactinemia/galactorrhea in some instances. I don't want to turn this into some type of "ask a pharmacist/student/idiot with a computer thread". The forum isn't for medical advice, OP. Go see your doctor. :thumbup:
You know... After all i could be here giving all kinds of great free advice on treatment and be 13 years old.....

The internet is anon. gives you something to think about!!

the cute doctor said:
hi every body

another question

Back in the mid eighties Parlodel was standard operating procedure for mothers not wishing to breast feed.

No longer.

Sandoz voluntarily withdrew the indication of Parlodel for the prevention of
postpartum lactation due to cardiovascular complications. The only therapy currently FDA approved are analgesics and ice packs for symptomatic relief

Perhaps I should not have answered. I just was always one of those mom's who didn't even take a tylenol, gave up caffeine, etc. when pregnant. I just felt I had to say something to the OP that seeing your OB before taking any meds is important.

Sorry.

jemc2000 said:
Perhaps I should not have answered. I just was always one of those mom's who didn't even take a tylenol, gave up caffeine, etc. when pregnant. I just felt I had to say something to the OP that seeing your OB before taking any meds is important.

Sorry.
I think your perspective is very important as you have that experience but if you are on something that is a necessity then cat B isn't that bad.

And you are absolutely correct they should see their OB before risking anything

This isn't meant to be an accusatory or "I know more than you do" statement, but this was an issue I was chewed out for on rotations.

You're committing a ecological fallacy with using pregnancy categories for lactation. There are drugs out there that are safe in pregnancy, but unsafe in lactation. The categories only apply to pregnancy.

bbmuffin said:
I think your perspective is very important as you have that experience but if you are on something that is a necessity then cat B isn't that bad.

And you are absolutely correct they should see their OB before risking anything

lord999 said:
This isn't meant to be an accusatory or "I know more than you do" statement, but this was an issue I was chewed out for on rotations.

You're committing a ecological fallacy with using pregnancy categories for lactation. There are drugs out there that are safe in pregnancy, but unsafe in lactation. The categories only apply to pregnancy.
You are correct however the question applies to bromocriptine and use in pregnancy not in lactation.