Prelim and Transitional Years applications ERAS 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
reviving an old thread.

I'm applying to derm, not anesthesia but was wondering about this quote:
IIRC, when you use ERAS you pay a flat fee for the first 10 programs in each specialty to which you apply. Since TYs and prelim medicines are technically different specialties you can see that applying to both would result in no reason to apply to less than 10 of each and you would have to pay at least $140 (maybe more now?) for internship apps.

Since that would be overkill, one strategy I used was to just apply to 10 TYs that also have a related prelim medicine program (or vice versa). Most (if not all) programs will let you rank both the TY and the prelim program if you interview there.

I found there was a strong geographical bias in internships, so even if you aren't a huge fan of your home city, your best odds are there for the first year. Also, at least half of anesthesia spots now have a built in internship which you may look into, but these are typically more difficult than the classic bogus TY year.

Does this mean that I can just apply to up to 10 TY's and 0 prelims, then if I get desperate I can just call up any prelim program i would've applied to and ask them to interview me (without paying the eras fee)? I'm just trying to save money here. Or would I have to eventually pay the money to apply to prelim programs if I called them anyway (just to transfer my app materials like Letters of Reference)?

Members don't see this ad.

reviving an old thread.

I'm applying to derm, not anesthesia but was wondering about this quote:

Does this mean that I can just apply to up to 10 TY's and 0 prelims, then if I get desperate I can just call up any prelim program i would've applied to and ask them to interview me (without paying the eras fee)? I'm just trying to save money here. Or would I have to eventually pay the money to apply to prelim programs if I called them anyway (just to transfer my app materials like Letters of Reference)?

No- that is incorrect.

Most TY/prelim IM programs will let you know on the day of (or likely if you call ahead) whether or not you will be able to rank both after one interview. However, you would not be calling any prelim program when you're desperate. I payed and applied to both the TY and prelim IM for the one program on my list that offered both.

No- that is incorrect.

Most TY/prelim IM programs will let you know on the day of (or likely if you call ahead) whether or not you will be able to rank both after one interview. However, you would not be calling any prelim program when you're desperate. I payed and applied to both the TY and prelim IM for the one program on my list that offered both.

Do TY and prelim IM count as separate specialties for ERAS pricing?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any thoughts on how many prelim and transitional interviews to actually attend?