prelim vs categorical...shed some light...second time posting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sujanraj2004

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
guyzz,
I had posted this topic before..I am an IMG..and I know the difference between prelim and categorical IM.... Checking both options in the ERAS costs the same as checking either! does it matter if v check both prelim and categorical..as they both r reviewd separately..and if we get a call on either one, wud they screw you in the interview asking y u applied to the other one?
Honestly speaking ...I am an IMG, need VISA, have low scores in 80s in both steps ...desperate to make it into any specialty..any track..prelim or categorical..as my credit card bills r getting overwhelmed!! I know my situation is pathetic..but just looking 2 make my life in this land of opportunities..🙂
shall i check both prelim and categorical in evry IM prog which offers it or just limit to either one per prog? shall i just check categorical alone? are prelims impossible 2 get into if u dont have a reserved pg y2 spot ?plss guyzz... genuine advise needed
 
prelim mean that you plan to stay only for the first year.

Catagorical means that you are going to be there for the full 3 IM years.

I can't comment of if you should mark both on the eras application. I don't know enough about it.
 
Hey man,
so let me tell you what i know (and don't know). as for the checking the prelim and categorical box for the same program, i don't know if they would double bill you, but my guess is that they won't. regarding prelim and categorical with your scores, I would apply mainly to categorical programs in community hospitals (i.e. not university affiliated). Prelim spots are generally held for those people going into pgy-2 specialities ie rads, optho, ENT, anesthesia, etc....so by logic, the people applying for the prelim spots will be US GRADS with 95-99's on their boards...leaving you in the IMG dust. BUT for your sake, still do apply to these prelims. I know it may be a lot of money, but as i was discussing this with a fellow colleague this morning...it is waaaay better to apply to all the pgrams you can, and worry about the financial situation later. you can always borrow money from paretns/uncles/siblings, etc to help you pay off this app fee.....my point is, being in debt and knowing you applied to a lot of prgrams and did the best you could is better than not getting a spot and having to spend DOUBLE the money during the next app cycle. in which city are you thinking about applying? if you don't want to say here, feel free to Private msg me...i can help name some community programs that would take you with your scores, or at least not reject you right away!
- food
 
I would apply to both Prelim and Categorical positions at programs you really like to increase your chances of getting something there, but ranking them at the bottom of your list. However, there are lots of Prelim IM positions left over and it would be a shame if you matched to a Prelim position you didn't really want when there was a Categorical or even Prelim position someplace you did like available in the scramble.