prelim year NOT in med or surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtji

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

are there preliminary years that are in fields other than medicine or surgery? I know about transitional years, but is it possible to do a year of peds?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible but very hard to come by, unless you have a prior arrangement with the program. Generally, fields like peds/fp/ob-gyn/psych are filled with categorical residents (that is, residents who plan on completing the entire 3-4 years). Therefore, if you leave after the first year this may leave the program with manpower shortage, thereby making it tougher for the remaining residents.

However, if programs remain unmatched after the Match (or even the scramble), they may entertain such a possibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prolly the only way to do this is to match into a peds program and then transfer out after your first year. I dunno why you'd want to do that purposely, as you'd only have funding for 2 more years, but it's possible.

My friend looked into doing a prelim peds. Apparently, there are only about 20 programs in the country, and the prelim spots are really hard to get. You can check on FREIDA, and under 'optional criteria" select "offers prelim position" to see all of the programs.

You're thinking of doing prelim preds before your PGY2 year in what?

radiology.
i mean, it probably wouldn't be peds. but i wanted to see if these programs exist. i like taking the road less travelled.

I've heard that it's very easy to get into a family practice intern year after the match. There are a lot of those programs that don't fill and are hurting for residents, even if it's only for one year.

There are definitely prelim years in Peds, and when applying for programs on ERAS there's a box to check. However, as previously stated, these are tougher to come by and, I would guess, more competitive than prelims in other fields. As an example, I applied to about 20 programs, and only 4 of those had the option: UNC, Cincinnati, Seattle, and Med Coll Wisconsin (Milwaukee). I agree with angel80 that FREIDA is a good place to start.