Prelimenary 1st Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Stradivarius

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everybody,
I'm currently living overseas(expat) when I am not finishing up my post-bac premed reqs in the states. I know I could very readily be accepted and start 1st year of med school in a nice med school overseas while I wait for acceptance for my first choice in the states. If money is not an issue, would it be worth it to do a semester of med school overseas just to start getting familiar with the subjects while I wait for acceptance, and then start from scratch in the states when accepted and pretend the overseas year never happened? Also would it be looked upon in a negative light as a repeat first year by a residency director even though it was only meant to help me do better in the desired first year.
I hope I'm making sense. Any input would be appreciated.
-Strad
 
Don't you have to list every college and graduate school you ever attended, even if you didn't receive a degree? And they also ask on applications if you have ever matriculated at a medical school. So I'm not sure if you could pretend it never happened. I'm guessing adcoms would find it odd that you attended a year of medical school already.
Hey Everybody,
I'm currently living overseas(expat) when I am not finishing up my post-bac premed reqs in the states. I know I could very readily be accepted and start 1st year of med school in a nice med school overseas while I wait for acceptance for my first choice in the states. If money is not an issue, would it be worth it to do a semester of med school overseas just to start getting familiar with the subjects while I wait for acceptance, and then start from scratch in the states when accepted and pretend the overseas year never happened? Also would it be looked upon in a negative light as a repeat first year by a residency director even though it was only meant to help me do better in the desired first year.
I hope I'm making sense. Any input would be appreciated.
-Strad
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want to learn something and have proof of it, apply to a formal Special Master's Program that lasts 1-2 years.

If money is no object and you're REALLY BORED, you can of course spend $20k at a med school in the Philippines are something. Those schools never communicate with the US schools (and neither would care to). However, it will award you nothing except knowledge and experience that you cannot put on your resume, or it will raise questions.
 
Definitely do a SMP in your case....there are some SMP programs out there where you can take courses with first year med students. Way better option and if you pick the right program, some of them have linkages too like Cincy, EVMS, Toledo, and Rosalind Franklin so you get the benefit of getting great prep and a foot in the door at a school. These programs that I listed are all 1 year programs too.